Infinite Scroll

Meg_Griffin

On what, a <div>? Why would you want an infinite scroll? I'm not too sure as to how to get the desired effect as I've never seen a need to try. You typically set overflow to scroll which will add a scroll bar but it depends on the amount of content inside the <div> as to how much you can scroll. Regards, Labtec.

I assume Meg refers to the widget you see at the bottom of, for example, a blog entry, which loads a limited number of comments at one time. When the last of the comments scrolls into view, the widget loads 40 more (usually via AJAX), and this goes on and on, until the user quits, or the comments run out. It's a very user-friendly way of handling a huge amount of content. If I'm correct, and this is what Meg is after, I cannot imagine a way to do it with CSS alone. You'd need to load ALL of the content into the document as it downloads but break it into sections. Most of the sections would not display until something triggers them to do so. A pseudoclass similar to :hover might work, but I'm not aware of a pseudoclass like that. If there is a CSS solution, I'd love to read about it. Maybe something that uses animation. An animated photobanner here might give you ideas. There are of course plenty of JavaScript solutions you can Google.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad
  • Like 1

Well,I know about the overflow property but I want something better. I want my scroll to be invisible. I'm building an one page portfolio site,and I think that would be a solution for that problem.If anyone suggests something better I would be grateful.

You've not really explained exactly what you want. Is D_D correct in his assumption? Can you provide us with some code to work with preferably HTML and CSS to start but again it depends on exactly what you want I suppose. Regards, Lab.

or a link to an example of what you are trying to do? It seems like you originally asked for infinite scroll and in your last post you mention invisible scroll? Either concept is confusing without examples since they're not exactly self-explanatory.