Simple HTML DOM Parser: how to get the nodeValue?

tinfanide

<?php// Simple HTML DOM Parserinclude('simple_html_dom.php');$html = file_get_html('http://lifelearning.xtreemhost.com/'); foreach ($html->getElementsByTagName("ul",0)->getElementsByTagName("li") as $li){echo $li->plaintext; // works; but return the whole nodeValues (From "Point 1" to "Reference")	    echo $li->childNodes(0)->nodeValue; // return nothingecho "<br />";}?>

<ul><li>Point 1	 <ul>		 <li>Point 1.1</li>		 <li>Point 1.2</li>		    <pre class="CodeDisplay">		    some codes		    </pre>		    <li>Reference: <a href="link.html" target="_blank">link</a></li>	    </ul>    </li> </ul>

I want to just thru PHP get the plain text of the first li ("Point 1").How can I do that in PHP?

It's true that nodeValue and textContent concatenate the values of all text nodes in a node. But text nodes do exist in the object and can be accessed the old-fashioned way. You simply forgot the correct syntax. Try this

echo $li->childNodes->item(0)->textContent;

Of course. if you don't know the exact location of the text node, you can loop through the childNodes and test the nodeType or nodeName.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

• 3 weeks later...
It's true that nodeValue and textContent concatenate the values of all text nodes in a node. But text nodes do exist in the object and can be accessed the old-fashioned way. You simply forgot the correct syntax. Try this
echo $li->childNodes->item(0)->textContent;

Of course. if you don't know the exact location of the text node, you can loop through the childNodes and test the nodeType or nodeName.

It returns the error:
Fatal error: Call to a member function item() on a non-object in /home/a6016920/public_html/example_basic_selector.php on line 11

In PHP's DOMDocument there are no text nodes. The node value belongs to the <li> element itself.
echo $li->nodeValue

The PHP page returns nothing (a blank page).

did you try var_dump() $li to see what is it actually?

did you try var_dump() $li to see what is it actually?
It returns a large chunk of unreadable texts which I can't understand.

<body><ul id="ul1"><li id="pt1">Point 1		 <ul id="ul2">			 <li id="pt11">Point 1.1</li>			 <li id="pt12">Point 1.2</li>			    <pre class="CodeDisplay">			    some codes			    </pre>			 <li id="ref">Reference: <a href="link.html" target="_blank">link</a></li>		 </ul>    </li></ul></body><script> alert(document.getElementsByTagName("li")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue); // Point 1 </script>

In JS, it returns what I want.Is there an equivalent in the simple HTML Dom of PHP?

The following code works. And it does not require an external library.

$url = 'http://www.someplace.com';$doc = new DOMDocument();$doc->loadHTMLFile($url);$els = $doc->getElementsByTagName('li');echo $els->item(0)->childNodes->item(0)->textContent;

Notice: if your document really looks like this, PHP will issue a warning. The <pre> element is not permitted between <li> elements.

<li id="pt12">Point 1.2</li>    <pre class="CodeDisplay">      some codes    </pre><li id="ref">Reference: <a href="link.html" target="_blank">link</a></li>

The following code works. And it does not require an external library.
$url = 'http://www.someplace.com';$doc = new DOMDocument();$doc->loadHTMLFile($url);$els = $doc->getElementsByTagName('li');echo $els->item(0)->childNodes->item(0)->textContent;

Notice: if your document really looks like this, PHP will issue a warning. The <pre> element is not permitted between <li> elements.

<li id="pt12">Point 1.2</li>	<pre class="CodeDisplay">	  some codes	</pre><li id="ref">Reference: <a href="link.html" target="_blank">link</a></li>

Yes, ya're right. And you've made a point.First, the pre tag is not accepted by PHP. After removing the tags, the warning generated by PHP disappears.Second, the DOMDocument method achieves what I want. I don't need an external lib like the Simple HTML Dom. By the way, I can't check up online. I wonder if I can do this in PHP:
<?phpecho $html->getElementsByTagName('li',0)->childNodes[0]->textContent;// it generates warnings// instead of using item()?>