unexpected '<' error

pmonty

$left .= <div class="quotepost"><div class="textdiv"><q class="quotetext">.$row['quote'].</q></div><p class="quoteauthor">-.$row['author'].</p></div><br/>; 

on this line i am getting :Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' on line 91 not sure what it is because my tags look fine. Any ideas would be helpful? thanks

you're forgetting quotes at the beginning of the string, right where the error says, at the < before div. You need to put all that text in quotes.

$left .= '<div class="quotepost"><div class="textdiv"><q class="quotetext">' . $row['quote'] . '</q></div><p class="quoteauthor">'  . $row['author']. '</p></div><br/>';

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
$left .= <div class="quotepost"><div class="textdiv"><q class="quotetext">.$row['quote'].</q></div><p class="quoteauthor">-.$row['author'].</p></div><br/>; 

on this line i am getting :Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' on line 91 not sure what it is because my tags look fine. Any ideas would be helpful? thanks

Or if you want to do with double quotes
$left .= "<div class=\"quotepost\"><div class=\"textdiv\"><q class=\"quotetext\">" . $row['quote'] . "</q></div><p class=\"quoteauthor\">-" . $row['author'] . "</p></div><br/>";

Or if you want to do with double quotes
$left .= "<div class=\"quotepost\"><div class=\"textdiv\"><q class=\"quotetext\">" . $row['quote'] . "</q></div><p class=\"quoteauthor\">-" . $row['author'] . "</p></div><br/>";

You shouldn't use double quotes for a string like that, that's ugly.Mind you, you shouldn't really have HTML in a string either.EDIT: yey ipb sucks Edited by callumacrae