Website Layout.

FutureWebDeveloper

Hello all I' ve been studying HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for about 7 months. So far I've managed to create 3 website, 2 which I' am embarrassed to show, but the other one is located at http://www.houseoftridenor.hostoi.com for my world of warcraft guild. Please tell me what you think of it based off my 7 month of studying HTML and CSS. Anyways, the reason I' am writing this topic is because I think that I should be able to atleast make a basic website with a decent layout by now with CSS and HTML. I' am pushing myself a little far or do I need to catch up? I would be studying PHP for server side scripting but having some problems with apache and php installation on my pc, which should be fixed sometime next week. How long does it to take for someone to be proficient enough in CSS and HTML to create a decent web layout, such as a site like W3schools.com, but with no functionality, just layout?

Edited by FutureWebDeveloper

It's hard to say how quickly anyone should pick something up, everyone learns at different rates and focuses on different things. There's a lot to cover in HTML and CSS, so you may be focused more on some parts than others. One of the best examples for what CSS can do is the zen garden: http://www.csszengarden.com/ That's a site that takes a single HTML page and lets you choose which stylesheet to apply to it, and you'll see the entire layout change just with a new stylesheet. All the files are there for you to download so that you can see what's possible with CSS-based design. It would be smart to focus more on that than on HTML-based design, like using tables to lay out your page. Tables are easy but are not flexible, the zen garden shows you the flexibility of CSS-based design.

Thanks. I think I'll study CSS and CSS3 for about a year til I master different types of layouts before i go on to study JavaScript and PHP more.

You may end up looking at parts of Javascript and PHP as you go along, as the 4 are used for completely different things. HTML is the structure of your site, CSS is the look and feel, Javascript is for making the interface interactive (fading, click events, ajax, drag and drop, etc), and PHP is for things like form processing, sending emails, uploading files, and anything having to do with a database. You may find yourself wanting to use specific parts of Javascript or PHP to accomplish various things before you've really studied them intensively. All of them are pretty big areas though. I hardly work with HTML any more, I usually have to look up references when I'm using things I haven't used in a while. Same goes for CSS, these days I'm usually using Javascript libraries that will write the CSS for me, if I need to change anything I end up looking up how it works and what my options are. I do enough with Javascript and PHP that I typically don't need references very often, but I still frequently look up syntax or usage for specific functions or things like that.

Ok thanks. I think I'll devote atleast 1 year to studying CSS, while improving my JavaScript, and Taking a course for PHP. Thanks for the advice. Also, I was wondering what languages are preferred for websites that let users use a webcam for social chating and what not. I noticed you mention PHP for uploading stuf.

Most webcam applications use either Flash or Java applets to access the webcam. Javascript itself cannot access the webcam or microphone. PHP runs on the server, not the browser, so PHP can't access anything on the user's computer at all. PHP can only access resources on the server.

Ahh I see. So it looks like I'll be studying either studying Java or flash. Most likely flash. Also, I've heard of this language called ActionScript 3.0 which deals with flash animation and what not. Would that be a proper language for me to learn so that I can learn how to deal with microphones and webcams. Or should I just pick between flash or java?