MySQLi extension versus MySQLi database

son

Hi there,Silly question but is MySQLi extension something different to a MySQLi database? I am asking as a new host provides php5 on package we selected. This should normally offer the MySQLi extension. As far as I know it should contain extension since version 4.1. However, host said in correspondence that for a MySQLi database you would need to a different package. Am I now getting here totally confused? Son

mysqli supports more of the advanced features that later versions of MySQL have, the older mysql extension doesn't support all of the features. Both extensions connect to the same database. mysqli is designed to work with MySQL 4.1.13 or newer, or 5.0.7 or newer.

Ok. Got you. They might have php5, but an old version of mysql and this is why they cannot enable mysqli. Do you know from which mysql version onwards mysqli would work? They say that they have mysql 5 and as far as I know we are now around 5.6.sth... Son

Thanks for this. I also was just now able to see their phpinfo() and it shows: mysqli MysqlI Support enabled Client API library version 5.1.66 Active Persistent Links 0 Inactive Persistent Links 0 Active Links 0 Client API header version 5.1.49 MYSQLI_SOCKET /path/to/mysqld.sock This is looking fine to me. Or is there anything else I would need to check? Think the guys at this huge host might simply not know all the features they offer. Still a bit strange they said it is not possible as this is not selling their product well... Thanks,Son

• 1 month later...