multiple meta description/keywords statements.

atar.yosef

Hi there!! As all we know, if we want to give a description to a website, of course we should use at the meta tag with the description keyword as the value of the name attribute. but my question is if I want to supply multiple descriptions to a page in multiple languages such as in English, French and so on, do I need to write multiple meta tags, each with its own description, or I should write the multiple descriptions in the same meta tag and only to separate them by a comma, or a semicolon for example? Thanks in advance!! atar.

You are only limited to so many characters, so that would be a problem , but you can use lang attribute as in lang="en", and lang="fr" to define the language that keywords, description are meant to target individually.
Thanks dsonesuk for replying!However, I need more info about three things:1) how many characters am I limited to in the meta tag?2) can you demonstrate me how to use the "lang" attribute inside the meta tag?3) what will happen if I will write several instances of the same kind, i.e. several meta tags with the "description" attribute, will the last statement overwrite all those which precede it?Thanks in advance!!Atar.

(1) was not sure of the correct amount, that why i did not add it, but did google and here seem to be a page that explains it morehttp://workawesome.com/communication/seo-writing-tip-2-optimize-meta-description-tag/ (2) for english and french meta descriptions<meta name=”description” lang="en" content=”Tarantulas are found mostly in the tropical areas of South America” /><meta name=”description” lang="fr" content=”Les tarentules se trouvent principalement dans les régions tropicales d'Amérique du Sud” /> (from google translate, don't blame me if its wrong) (3) No, its just information that can be gathered to show for instance an alternative desciption language within search engine results that the user search for. see 'meta and search engines' athttp://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#edef-META

• Like 1