Is this regular expression possible?

MrFish

I've got an xml file I want to run a regular expression on. I want to load elements dynamically using an element I'm calling "c-load". These c-load elements can be nested and use the results from the previous c-load in its queries. Here is what my xml looks like-

<!-- Community Results Page --><panel name="com_results" class="GridMenuPanel">  <data columns="4" rows="3" icon-width="128" icon-height="170">   <c-load connection="main" table="community" order="community_order">	<option key="{community_name}" value="com_detail_{community_name}" image="http://site/CmImageDir/{community_logo}"/>   </c-load>  </data></panel> <!-- Community Detail Pages --><c-load connection="main" table="community" order="community_order">  <panel name="com_detail_{community_name}" class="SlidePanel">   <data>	<panel name="com_models_{community_name}"/>	<panel name="com_inventory_{community_name}"/>	<panel name="com_overview_{community_name}"/>   </data>  </panel></c-load> <!-- Community Models Pages --><c-load connection="main" table="community" order="community_order">  <c-load connection="main" query="SELECT * FROM community_model WHERE community_model_community_id='{community_id}' ORDER BY community_model_order ASC">   <panel name="com_modeldetal_{[1]community_name}_{model_name}" class="ModelResultsPanel">	<data>	 <option key="{model_name"} value="com_modedetail_{[1]community_name}_{model_name}">	  <_attribute name="{model_name}"/>	  <_attribute beds="{model_bed}"/>	  <_attribute baths="{model_bathfull}"/>	  <_attribute price="{model_baseprice}"/>	  <_attribute sqft="{model_sqft}"/>	 </option>	</data>   </panel>  </c-load></c-load>

So I could write an expression like this and it will work for most-

|<c-load(.*)>([\w\W\d\D]+)</c-load>|U

But if c-load elements are nested like what's seen in the Community Models Pages section it will end at the first </c-load> it finds. If I wrote a custom function to pull out c-load elements I would count how many nested <c-load> elements I found with a counter and each time I run into </c-load> I would decrease the counter. If the counter is 0 then the </c-load> found would be the end of the block.

<c-load> <!-- counter is 0 --> <c-load> <!-- counter += 1 --></c-load> <!-- counter != 0 - counter -= 1 --></cload> <!-- counter is 0 - return block -->

So is this possible using one line of regex or do I need to come up with a custom solution?

Edited by MrFish

I think you'll be happier treating your xml as a DOMDocument or SimpleXML object instead of a string. Then you could use x-path to target the kind of nodes you want based on their attributes -- it looks like the one you want has unique attributes, anyway -e.g., table, order.

I think you'll be happier treating your xml as a DOMDocument or SimpleXML object instead of a string. Then you could use x-path to target the kind of nodes you want based on their attributes -- it looks like the one you want has unique attributes, anyway -e.g., table, order.
I may try to convert this to DOMDocument. Unfortunately I started using SimpleXML without realizing it doesn't have an insertBefore method and order of elements is important in my script.

The dom_import_simplexml() is all you need in case you want to keep your SimpleXML stuff at some place, and just switch to DOM for this one manipulation, and then use simplexml_import_dom() to switch back to SimpleXML.Of course, it will be more efficient if you always use DOM instead.