javascript

I just want to get some information, I am learning javascript. I want to know of ways I can utilize javascript.Even on my homepage freelancebusinessman once I get it finished I was hoping to employ a bit of javascript, just to practice with it, but I don't want to use it on something pointless, or something that will hinder accessibility. I want to be able to utilize it though as a tool to get things done, what things can I do with it on a standard page. I just want some general ideas, where I can easily utilize it on any page, without hindering/but helping the user experience, I tried some other stuff, adn it seemed to be frowned upon so I was just getting some ideas. I am going to create something on each page, to show the current time, date, excetera, on each page, but I may do this in php if possible, but I like the way javascript set's up the time functions it's easier to utilize the time because you read it off the person's browser, instead of fighting to figure out the unix timestamp, but I am hoping to get a few ideas other than this as well.

I like the way javascript set's up the time functions it's easier to utilize the time because you read it off the person's browser, instead of fighting to figure out the unix timestamp

Javascript takes the time from the users clock on the taskbar, so if their clock is 5 hours behind that's what gets printed on the screen.Php takes the time from the server, so if it's correct then at least you know the user will see the correct time :)

question to scott: wouldn't the PHP clock be more of a timestamp and a JS clock could be an ongoing (ticking) clock? just curious.To businessman: I find that JS can go a long way towards simplifying the GUI to your web page, making it less clutter - easier to navigate. Also look at AJAX, it combines JS with PHP and HTML to provide a more interactive experience for your users.WG

Yeah that's right, I think that's how both are mostly implemented. My point was though that you can't full rely on the JS one as it may be wrong.

I was more of meaning, some ideas on how it can be used. For instance, I know php, mysql(other variations as I studied the sql language), javascript, css and xhtml. I use xhtml to create the pages, css to style them and lay them out, php, for dynamic content, but I want to have a few ideas on some general Uses I can have for javascript, one if I have pictures I am going to start creating an image preload and uses it on all my pictures, I want some other ideas on stuff I can always do general stuff, I use to create a name in the status bar but now I use title"" in my xhtml instead, any ideas on the javascript, what kind of things I can use for it in regular html pages, to just show that I know it, the site is to show a little off on the languages I know, so when I say I know javascript to a client, they don't say what is one site you worked on with a bit of javascript, I can show them my site, with a lot of javascript, and boom that's it any ideas, thanks.