RAZZ

How can I extract DOM data from an element?

Hi,I am trying to get into this JavaScript thing, and I have what should be a really simple question:How can I extract DOM data, namely text color in RGB format, from an element?To be more precise, I have given the object a color like so:

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function asignColor(){	document.getElementById('txt').style.color="rgb(0,250,0)";}</script></head><body><div Id="txt" onclick="asignColor()"> This is text </div></body></html>

So let's say that I want to change the color again, based on this information. How could I extract that?I tried searching, but I really don't have a clue about what keywords to use.Thanks alot to anyone who answers!

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function asignColor(){document.getElementById('txt').style.color="rgb(0,250,0)";}function getColor(){color = document.getElementById('txt').style.color;alert(color);}</script></head><body><div Id="txt" onclick="asignColor()"> This is text </div><br><input type="button" value="GET COLOR" onClick="getColor()"></body></html>

But it might not be enough, since it doesn't return anything but only after a value for the color property is already assigned.

But it might not be enough, since it doesn't return anything but only after a value for the color property is already assigned.

[right][post="23134"][/post][/right]

[/quote]If you use onload() to set the initial color, when you click GET COLOR it will at least return that value.[codebox]<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function setColor(){document.getElementById('txt').style.color="rgb(0,0,0)";}function asignColor(){document.getElementById('txt').style.color="rgb(0,250,0)";}function getColor(){color = document.getElementById('txt').style.color;alert(color);}</script></head><body onload="setColor()"><div Id="txt" onclick="asignColor()">This is text </div><br><input type="button" value="GET COLOR" onClick="getColor()"></body></html>[/codebox]

There can also be a loop, to check for the rgb value. Like this:

x = document.getElementsByTagName('div')for (c=0; c<x.length; c++){if (x[c].style.color == "rgb(0,250,0)"){ x[c].style.color = "somethingelse" }}