Spans that push?

davej

Assigning a width to a span seems to have no effect. What if you want a span to occupy a certain width (i.e. push against other elements)? I don't remember how to do this. Thanks

Empty or not empty I'm seemingly unable to push anything over with the span with an assigned width.

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><style>.ww{width: 500px;height: 60px;}</style></head><body><span class="ww">Some text:</span><input type="text"/></body></html>

Edited by davej

Spans are allowed to have horizontal margins and padding. Height, vertical padding and vertical margins don't work, but you can use line-height.

I noticed from the other post that float seems to be one solution...

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><style>.ww{width: 100px;height: 60px;float: left;}</style></head><body><span class="ww">Some text:</span><input type="text"/></body></html>

Float doesn't really do anything, maybe it makes it behave more like a block. If you set the display: to block and then float it will allow width and height to be set.

The width is what is of interest to me. I wanted to try to avoid using a table to align the input fields similar to the situation in the other post. Float seems to be one possible fix.

the issue is that <span> is an inline element, and doesn't "respond" to width/height styles. In order for it to do so, you could give it

span{  display: inline-block;  height: 50px;  width: 300px;}

Edited by thescientist