Best way to display a photo

PeteClimbs

I'm doing a travel blog and want to enable viewers to be able to click on a small image and see a bigger one. I now use an anchor tag with target _blank which causes the large photo to be shown on a separate tab. This, in turn requires the viewer to manually delete the tab(s). I would like to use the method I see on many web pages where the blog page stays visible, but "grayed" out, while the large image is shown in the middle of the window. The user then has to click something (or press Esc key) to get back to the main page. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? TIA,PeteP.S. I'm using HTML5, jQuery (just a beginner) and js.

If you are using Wordpress you can check the plugins section and search for a plugin. I would try 'image popup' in the plugins search. If you not using Wordpress then you might checkout Highslide.com. I find this quite good and easy to implement. It's fully supported across all browsers.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing a travel blog and want to enable viewers to be able to click on a small image and see a bigger one. I now use an anchor tag with target _blank which causes the large photo to be shown on a separate tab. This, in turn requires the viewer to manually delete the tab(s). I would like to use the method I see on many web pages where the blog page stays visible, but "grayed" out, while the large image is shown in the middle of the window. The user then has to click something (or press Esc key) to get back to the main page. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? TIA,PeteP.S. I'm using HTML5, jQuery (just a beginner) and js.
PrettyPhoto It's what most people use, and it allows a selection of different options.