Mac Browser problems viewing xml via html

grindhouse

Following the XML Application tutorial (http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_applications.asp) i cannot seem to view the examples the page gives via my web browsers.The Mac os x browsers i have tried are Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.3, Safari 1.3.2, Internet Explorer 5.2.3.As soon as i tried to view the sample links on a PC using internet explorer i can see them.Is there an issue displaying XML via html on Mac browsers ??My main concern is that i wish to display xml data in several html pages. If only PC users can see it it slightly defeats the object.Any ideas anyone ?

Well, the XML Application in W3Schools uses Data Islands and as you can see earlyer on, Data Islands are only supported in IE and they are not part of any (X)HTML specification. There are other ways to extract and manipulate XML data, most of which work across browsers (some with small tricks, others with more).

Well, complex JavaScript for ones. XML DOM could manipulate and/or use parts of XML files to do certain things or just show it's contents.Another solution, which has come into my favourite ones is what my "mind quote" is about: XSLT. A really great way to convert XML file into various formats, among which is of course XHTML (in which you can also put additional JavaScript for further manipulation). Using a combination of templates and previewing the XML, you can see the result and using server side scripting languages, you can even get the source code itself.I don't know if IE5MAC has any support for XSLT, but I don't care actually. I would rather "kick" this browser then to support is scince it's really old and MS is not going to support it anymore. I know FF has a good support of XSLT and Konqueror(Safari) too, so that's pretty enough for MACs and latest versions of all Windows browsers support it.