PHP Issues: Login & Reporting

aarontbarksdale

I have a log in script:

<?phpsession_start();require ('connect.php'); // Connect to server and select databse.mysql_connect("$host", "$login", "$pass")or die("cannot connect");mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB"); // Define $myusername and $mypassword$myusername=$_POST['username'];$mypassword=$_POST['password']; // To protect MySQL injection (more detail about MySQL injection)$myusername = stripslashes($myusername);$mypassword = stripslashes($mypassword);$myusername = mysql_real_escape_string($myusername);$mypassword = mysql_real_escape_string($mypassword);$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE username='$myusername' and password='$mypassword'";$result=mysql_query($sql);  // Mysql_num_row is counting table row$count=mysql_num_rows($result); // If result matched $myusername and $mypassword, table row must be 1 rowif($count==1){ 	 // Register $myusername, $mypassword and redirect to file "login_success.php"	 $_SESSION["myusername"] = $myusername;	 $_SESSION["mypassword"] = $mypassword; 	 header("location:/login/login_success.php");}else {	 echo "Wrong Username or Password";}?>

When I log in for the FIRST time, it "logs in" but not correctly. It doesn't show user-specific information until I log out then log back in and it works. It does something similar when I have it go to a Report page. I have to "Go Back" and then click the Report again before it shows the correct information. Any suggestions why it's doing that???

Edited by aarontbarksdale

When I click to generate the report for the first time after logging on, it is supposed to pull from the database to get the start date...however, it defaults to 12/31/1969, I go back, then "generate the report" again and it's correct. Just trying to eliminate the need to go back and/or logout then log in again.

You should write and close the session after setting all of the data, and before redirecting. A 12/31/1969 date indicates that you have a timestamp with a value of 0. The Unix timestamp is the number of seconds since 1/1/70, so 12/31/1969 11:59:59 is the date when the timestamp has a value of 0 or is missing. It's hard to suggest what might be wrong without seeing the code, but it's showing that date because of a missing timestamp.

But then when you go back by any way, whether hitting the BACK button or a link then generating the report again fixes it. Why?

Again, I can't speculate about what it's doing without actually seeing the code. It could be anything. I can write code to do that, but I can't guess why your code is doing it. Maybe you're setting a value in the session after you try to use it for the first time.