PHP Login - Banned Not working?

MarkT

Hello,I'm creating a login for my new website,I've set up all the db, however I've added a bans table. with the following structure;iduser_idreasonissue_dateexpiry_date and I want the login to check whether the user that wishes to log in, is banned or not. I have the below code, but when I ban myself in the database, it still lets me log in and says "You are now logged in"

if(isset($_POST['submit'])){   $mail = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $pass = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']); // We won't use MD5 encryption here because it is the simple tutorial, if you don't know what MD5 is, dont worry!   $user_id = mysql_query("SELECT id FROM users where name= '{$name}'");   $banned = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM bans WHERE user_id = '{$user_id}'");   $mysql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE name = '{$name}' AND email = '{$mail}' AND password = '{$pass}'"); // This code uses MySQL to get all of the users in the database with that username and password.   if(mysql_num_rows($mysql) < 1)   {	 die("Incorrect Login Details");   } // That snippet checked to see if the number of rows the MySQL query was less than 1, so if it couldn't find a row, the password is incorrect or the user doesn't exist!   if(($banned) == '1' )   {   die ("You are currently banned from PitchIT");   }   $_SESSION['loggedin'] = "YES"; // Set it so the user is logged in!   $_SESSION['email'] = $mail; // Make it so the email can be called by $_SESSION['email']   $_SESSION['name'] = $name; // Make it so the username can be called by $_SESSION['name']   die("You are now logged in!   <a href='logged.html'> Go</a>"); // Kill the script here so it doesn't show the login form after you are logged in!} // That bit of code logs you in! The "$_POST['submit']" bit is the submission of the form down below VVecho "<form type='index.html' method='POST'>Name: <br><input type='text' name='name'><br>Email: <br><input type='email' name='email'><br>Password: <br><input type='password' name='password'><br><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Login'></form>";?>

Any help appreciated!

you aren't doing anything with the result from mysql query, you are testing against a result. http://php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-query.phphttp://www.tizag.com/mysqlTutorial/mysqlquery.php you should use something like fetch_arrayhttp://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-fetch-array.phphttp://www.w3schools.com/php/func_mysql_fetch_array.asp that can check the count (length of) to see if it returned N number of results.

you aren't doing anything with the result from mysql query, you are testing against a result.http://php.net/manua...mysql-query.phphttp://www.tizag.com.../mysqlquery.php you should use something like fetch_arrayhttp://www.php.net/m...fetch-array.phphttp://www.w3schools...fetch_array.asp that can check the count (length of) to see if it returned N number of results.
My new code is;
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){   $mail = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $pass = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']); // We won't use MD5 encryption here because it is the simple tutorial, if you don't know what MD5 is, dont worry!   $user_id = mysql_query("SELECT 'id' FROM 'users' where 'name' = '{$name}'");   $row1 = mysql_fetch_array( $user_id );   $banned = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM 'bans' WHERE 'user_id' = '{$row1}'");   $row2 = mysql_fetch_array( $banned );   $mysql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE name = '{$name}' AND email = '{$mail}' AND password = '{$pass}'"); // This code uses MySQL to get all of the users in the database with that username and password.   if(mysql_num_rows($mysql) < 1)   {	 die("Incorrect Login Details");   } // That snippet checked to see if the number of rows the MySQL query was less than 1, so if it couldn't find a row, the password is incorrect or the user doesn't exist!   if(mysql_num_rows($row2) == 1 )   {   die ("You are currently banned from PitchIT");   }   $_SESSION['loggedin'] = "YES"; // Set it so the user is logged in!   $_SESSION['email'] = $mail; // Make it so the email can be called by $_SESSION['email']   $_SESSION['name'] = $name; // Make it so the username can be called by $_SESSION['name']   die("You are now logged in!   <a href='logged.html'> Go</a>"); // Kill the script here so it doesn't show the login form after you are logged in!} // That bit of code logs you in! The "$_POST['submit']" bit is the submission of the form down below VVecho "<form type='index.html' method='POST'>Name: <br><input type='text' name='name'><br>Email: <br><input type='email' name='email'><br>Password: <br><input type='password' name='password'><br><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Login'></form>";?>

But still not working,Can you explain what I should do with examples of my code please?

Edited by MarkT

Check mysql_num_rows($banned), that function works on a result set, not an array of a single row.
New code;
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){   $mail = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $pass = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']); // We won't use MD5 encryption here because it is the simple tutorial, if you don't know what MD5 is, dont worry!   $user_id = mysql_query("SELECT 'id' FROM 'users' where 'name' = '{$name}'");LINE 69 -   $row1 = mysql_num_rows( $user_id );   $banned = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM 'bans' WHERE 'user_id' = '{$user_id}'");LINE 71 -   $row2 = mysql_num_rows( $banned );    $mysql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE name = '{$name}' AND email = '{$mail}' AND password = '{$pass}'"); // This code uses MySQL to get all of the users in the database with that username and password.  if(mysql_num_rows($mysql) < 1)   {	 die("Incorrect Login Details");   } // That snippet checked to see if the number of rows the MySQL query was less than 1, so if it couldn't find a row, the password is incorrect or the user doesn't exist!   if($row2 > 0 )   {   die ("You are currently banned from PitchIT");   }   $_SESSION['loggedin'] = "YES"; // Set it so the user is logged in!   $_SESSION['email'] = $mail; // Make it so the email can be called by $_SESSION['email']   $_SESSION['name'] = $name; // Make it so the username can be called by $_SESSION['name']   die("You are now logged in!   <a href='logged.html'> Go</a>"); // Kill the script here so it doesn't show the login form after you are logged in!} // That bit of code logs you in! The "$_POST['submit']" bit is the submission of the form down below VVecho "<form type='index.html' method='POST'>Name: <br><input type='text' name='name'><br>Email: <br><input type='email' name='email'><br>Password: <br><input type='password' name='password'><br><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Login'></form>";?>

Error when you log in:

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/u872116037/public_html/index.html on line 69 Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/u872116037/public_html/index.html on line 71 You are now logged in! Go

Those errors mean that the queries failed, you can use mysql_error to check for error messages from MySQL.
$row1 = mysql_num_rows( $user_id ); Is the line left, with the error, i got rid of the other one. but this one remains, Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/u872116037/public_html/index.html on line 69 You are now logged in! Go

$row1 = mysql_num_rows( $user_id ); Is the line left, with the error, i got rid of the other one. but this one remains, Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/u872116037/public_html/index.html on line 69 You are now logged in! Go
Alright, I've got rid of those errors.But it's still not saying that I'm banned?

Post your current code.
Current Code:
if(isset($_SESSION['loggedin'])){    die("You are already logged in!<a href='logged.html'> Go</a>");} // That bit of code checks if you are logged in or not, and if you are, you can't log in again!if(isset($_POST['submit'])){   $mail = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']); // The function mysql_real_escape_string() stops hackers!   $pass = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']); // We won't use MD5 encryption here because it is the simple tutorial, if you don't know what MD5 is, dont worry!   $user_id = mysql_query("SELECT id FROM users where 'name' = '{$name}'");   $row1 = mysql_num_rows( $user_id );   $banned = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM bans WHERE 'user_id' = '{$user_id}'");   $row2 = mysql_num_rows( $banned );   $mysql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE name = '{$name}' AND email = '{$mail}' AND password = '{$pass}'"); // This code uses MySQL to get all of the users in the database with that username and password.  if(mysql_num_rows($mysql) < 1)   {	 die("Incorrect Login Details");   } // That snippet checked to see if the number of rows the MySQL query was less than 1, so if it couldn't find a row, the password is incorrect or the user doesn't exist!   elseif(($row2) == 1 )   {   die ("You are currently banned from PitchIT");   }   $_SESSION['loggedin'] = "YES"; // Set it so the user is logged in!   $_SESSION['email'] = $mail; // Make it so the email can be called by $_SESSION['email']   $_SESSION['name'] = $name; // Make it so the username can be called by $_SESSION['name']   die("You are now logged in!   <a href='logged.html'> Go</a>"); // Kill the script here so it doesn't show the login form after you are logged in!} // That bit of code logs you in! The "$_POST['submit']" bit is the submission of the form down below VVecho "<form type='index.html' method='POST'>Name: <br><input type='text' name='name'><br>Email: <br><input type='email' name='email'><br>Password: <br><input type='password' name='password'><br><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Login'></form>";?>

I tried printing the result of the $row2 = mysql_num_rows( $banned ); and it's not giving me anything? Anyhelp?

Edited by MarkT