how to refer to this.id somewhere else

makata

http://jsfiddle.net/tearex/mXQqP/ I have hit the wall on a trivial as i think problem. I can not replicate assignment of a variable in a different place of the code. Here is how the prototype works: first click one of the randomizers. they populate the select menu. then click the button. it makes the choice of the select menu appear on the diagnostic display. so far so good. now, click the select menu and choose something other than what is chosen the button will update, but upon pressing the button, a few lines of code are missing :( Here is how I see the problem. when the choice of the select menu item is randomized, the variable versioneFOR1 is assigned the content of the selected array element this way: versioneFOR1=(mapa1[this.id][droplista]); In the mirror process, when the choice of the array element is done not through randomization but by the user choice of dropdown menu, this.id does not seem to work. the variable needs to be defined otherwise. I feel the answer to this is simple, but I have hit the wall. please help

In the place of "this" you need to put a reference to the element you're trying to access. Unless I can see some of the code I can't say much more.