general website questions

elexion

Hi, I want to start a serious website that'll ultimately generate revenue. And I have a few questions related to getting started.

Q: How does a user depended website start? By this I mean a website that depends on users to upload the content.Q: What would be the best way to handle comments on for example multiple videos in the way Youtube does(as in allow the comments to be displayed in the way it does)?

Q: When I do decide to pick a web host what are the things I need to look out for?Q: related to above question does it matter where this third party(the web host) keep their servers? (from a legal stand point)

Thanks in advance for answering or contributing to the topic :).

These are the only questions I came up with (for now at least) if there are any points you think you should rely to me feel free to do so.

• Like 1

Everything should start with a design document where you have a detailed list of the features and requirements for the site. You can also include the graphical design in that if you want. After that I usually gather the requirements and use that to design the database, and get the database set up first. It doesn't really matter which part you start programming first, although I usually start with logging in and user management. You can use something like Zend Framework to handle most of the boring parts and let you focus on the important parts. Comments are like any other feature, you need to define the specific requirements for them (e.g., can they be rated up and down, sorted different ways, threaded, etc) and then design your database to support that. Figure out all of the data you need to store in order to meet the requirements, and go from there.

When I do decide to pick a web host what are the things I need to look out for?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Find a host that sounds trustworthy and will satisfy the requirements for your server. Ever since hosting on a dedicated server it's hard for me to go back to shared hosting, I like the ability to install or change anything on the server to meet my needs.

related to above question does it matter where this third party(the web host) keep their servers? (from a legal stand point)

Are you planning on hosting content that isn't legal in certain jurisdictions? If so, then don't host it there. If you're hosting something like copyrighted content then content owners will try to get it taken down regardless of where you are.

Are you planning on hosting content that isn't legal in certain jurisdictions? If so, then don't host it there. If you're hosting something like copyrighted content then content owners will try to get it taken down regardless of where you are.

Oh no absolutely legal, just thought it would matter in relation to sites coming under attack and having to report such a attack to officials.

Edit;I'm a rookie to running my own website so I'm all completely new to this. I've made plenty of websites that are also online but I never intervened on the hosting department.

Edited by elexion

I'll just repeat my first question since it's the most important one ^^,Q: How does a user depended website start? By this I mean a website that depends on users to upload the content.

I don't know what you're asking. It starts with a design document, like any other piece of software. I told you how I start a new project, with the database. If that doesn't answer your question, ask a different question.

you're thinking development :P that's not the issue. I need to know how my website will gain attendance being new. Do I make sure it's SOE optimized and just pray it'll grow or something? Asking because I have never been in this situation before.

Getting backlinks from more popular sites that have the same theme will both drive traffic to your site and improve your place in search engines. It's not easy to do, though. Backlinks are one of the most important ways of getting your website known to people.

After a certain point, you're getting outside the field of web development and entering the marketing territory. Perhaps you can hire a marketing agent for your company or team, somebody who has a background in these things.

Getting backlinks from more popular sites that have the same theme will both drive traffic to your site and improve your place in search engines. It's not easy to do, though. Backlinks are one of the most important ways of getting your website known to people.

After a certain point, you're getting outside the field of web development and entering the marketing territory. Perhaps you can hire a marketing agent for your company or team, somebody who has a background in these things.

Yeah there's a lot of truth in that last sentence. I find it quite hard to identify my "idea" at this point I have no idea if I even have to "begin" a company or how my project is identified. I'll try to find another source =) thanks for the help thus far.