Passing variables into a getElementById

ameliabob

I have set up a table where a text box is assigned an id as in the server:

$custNumber=n40;             // Changed to add a letter$custLimit = 55;$custName = "Fred";$x = "onblur="PostIt(' ".$custNumber. " ')" ";"<td align='center'><input id='".$custNumber."' type='text' ".$x." size='5' value='".$custLimit."'' /> </td><td>".$custName."</td>";  

and in the browser:

function PostIt(numb){        alert("trying to post customer "+numb);        var q = document.getElementById('"+numb+"').value;         alert("and the value is "+q);    }

My problem is to find the correct syntax so that the "numb" parameter can get put in the getElementById correctly.

"q" comes back as undefined??

Edited by AmeliaBob

I would suggest prefixing the id with a letter both in the PHP and when you pass the Id, because I don't believe numbers are valid id values in HTML.

I have set up a table where a text box is assigned an id as in the server:

$custNumber=n40;             // Changed to add a letter$custLimit = 55;$custName = "Fred";$x = "onblur="PostIt(' ".$custNumber. " ')" ";"<td align='center'><input id='".$custNumber."' type='text' ".$x." size='5' value='".$custLimit."'' /> </td><td>".$custName."</td>";  

and in the browser:

function PostIt(numb){        alert("trying to post customer "+numb);        var q = document.getElementById('"+numb+"').value;         alert("and the value is "+q);    }

My problem is to find the correct syntax so that the "numb" parameter can get put in the getElementById correctly.

"q" comes back as undefined??

I made the change to the customer number by adding an 'n' to it. The code that is sent to the browser is :

<tr><td></td><td>Bill Mertens</td><td align='center'>19</td><td id='n63' align='center'><input type='text' size='5' value='0'onblur="PostIt('n63')" /></td></tr>

Still can't find the problem....

If you still have this:

var q = document.getElementById('"+numb+"').value;

That's not correct, you're telling it to look for something like this:

<div id='"+numb+"'>

Where the ID contains the double quotes and plus signs and the word "numb".

The syntax is obviously confusing me.

Here is code that I used in the W3Schools tryme

[codebox}

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><script>function PostIt(numb){ alert("in postit numb is "+numb); var q = document.getElementById(numb).value; alert("q's value is "+q);}</script></head><body><p id='n63' align='center'><input type='text' size='5' value='0'onblur="PostIt('n63')" /></p></body></html>[/codebox]

The first alert shows the n63.

The second shows undefined

So I have not grasped how the interpreter works.

Thanks

My fault for not typing more in. This is much closer to the original code:

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><script>function PostIt(numb){    alert("in postit numb is "+numb);    var q = document.getElementById(numb).value;    alert("q's value is "+q);}</script></head><body><table border='1'><tr><th>Name</th><th>Number</th><tr><tr><td>Fred</td><td id='n63' align='center'><input type='text' size='5' value='0'onblur="PostIt('n63')" /></td></tr></table></body></html>

It still seems rather pointless to me.

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>table junk</title><script>var out;window.onload = init;function init(){out = document.getElementById('out');for (n=1; n<=9 ; n++){document.getElementById('n'+ n).value = '0';document.getElementById('n'+ n).onchange = update;}}function update(){out.innerHTML = 'table cell ' + this.id + ' = ' + this.value;}</script></head><body><table border="1"><tr><td><input type="text" id="n1"/></td><td><input type="text" id="n2"/></td><td><input type="text" id="n3"/></td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" id="n4"/></td><td><input type="text" id="n5"/></td><td><input type="text" id="n6"/></td></tr><tr><td><input type="text" id="n7"/></td><td><input type="text" id="n8"/></td><td><input type="text" id="n9"/></td></tr></table><div id="out"></div></body></html>
Edited by davej

• 5 years later...