Browser support

birbal

i would like to know what is your minimum requirement of browser compatibility when you develop web app/site?

It's been a while since I made a site but for now I'd support Internet Explorer 8 and up.

Other browsers, it's hard to keep track of versions, but the last time I was supporting Firefox 3.6.

Generally, I look at what features are exclusive to HTML 5 or CSS 3 and I try to make the page acceptable without those features. If you're using border-radius, I don't see it a major problem to show rectangular boxes to older browsers. For HTML 5 semantic elements, I give them a default style. Usually display: block with no margin, padding or borders. Older versions of Internet Explorer need to create the elements with Javascript in order to be able to style them.

With Javascript, I test for features and if there are workarounds for missing features, I implement them for older browsers. If there's no way to get things to work in older browsers (for example, if <canvas> is being used), I check if the feature is available and display a message to the user if it's not, letting them know to upgrade their browser.