MySQLi prevent SQL injections

Mudsaf

Hello, I've learned MySQL mostly and lately I've tried to change to MySQLi. I'm wondering how to insert data to database with preventing SQL injections?

On MySQL i used stipslashes + mysql_real_escape_string

Lets say if i have $_POST['uname'] and $_POST['upass'], which is best method to prevent SQL injections?mysqli_real_escape_string or prepared query? If prepared query could somebody show me example?

Technically there's no security difference between mysqli_real_escape_string and prepared statements, but prepared statements ensure that you don't forget to escape a particular string leading to a potential security problem.

Technically there's no security difference between mysqli_real_escape_string and prepared statements, but prepared statements ensure that you don't forget to escape a particular string leading to a potential security problem.

Thanks for info, could you show me example of prepared mysqli_query with couple of $_POST elements? :)

There are examples here:

http://es1.php.net/mysqli_prepare

http://es1.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-stmt.execute.php

Here's the example from the PHP manual, edited to show where you could put $_POST variables.

<?php$mysqli = new mysqli("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "world");/* check connection */if (mysqli_connect_errno()) {    printf("Connect failed: %sn", mysqli_connect_error());    exit();}$mysqli->query("CREATE TABLE myCity LIKE City");/* Prepare an insert statement */$query = "INSERT INTO myCity (Name, CountryCode, District) VALUES (?,?,?)";$stmt = $mysqli->prepare($query);$stmt->bind_param("sss", $val1, $val2, $val3);$val1 = $_POST['city_name1'];$val2 = $_POST['country_code1'];$val3 = $_POST['district1'];/* Execute the statement */$stmt->execute();$val1 = $_POST['city_name2'];$val2 = $_POST['country_code2'];$val3 = $_POST['district2'];/* Execute the statement */$stmt->execute();/* close statement */$stmt->close();/* retrieve all rows from myCity */$query = "SELECT Name, CountryCode, District FROM myCity";if ($result = $mysqli->query($query)) {    while ($row = $result->fetch_row()) {        printf("%s (%s,%s)n", $row[0], $row[1], $row[2]);    }    /* free result set */    $result->close();}/* remove table */$mysqli->query("DROP TABLE myCity");/* close connection */$mysqli->close();?>
  • Like 1