is it right css, shows error upon validating

virtualadz

this code shows error when validating with w3.org stating reason as hand is not a cursor value, do you have any ideas about this, so as to correct this one error left in my css file.moduleRow { }.moduleRowOver { background-color: #D7E9F7; cursor: pointer; cursor: hand; }.moduleRowSelected { background-color: #E9F4FC; }

If I am not mistaking, cursor:hand is for IE only, cursor:pointer does the same thing. So you can delete the cursor:hand and leave just cursor:pointer (and there is no point of defining cursor: twice since the last overrides the first one).

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validat...&usermedium=allInvalid number : cursor hand is not a cursor value : handMeaning "hand" of course, is not a valid css value.Here's a list of valid cursors:http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_class_cursor.aspYou see it says in IE, you can use the non-standard "hand" value. Alternatively, to make it work in all browsers, you could download a mouse cursor that is an exact copy of the hand and define it with url(). :)

i couldn't just find where this cursor value was refering to in my document, so dont even know what is it going to change and where, i have removed that code from my css, and it not showing errors upon validating, but i cannot be sure as it is going to change some formatting somewhere.. i just moved that cursor: hand value in a commeted line.moduleRow { }.moduleRowOver { background-color: #D7E9F7; cursor: pointer;}.moduleRowSelected { background-color: #E9F4FC; }.checkoutBarFrom, .checkoutBarTo { font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; color: #8c8c8c; }.checkoutBarCurrent { font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; }/* message box cursor: hand; */as i dont have any idea where and what is it changing

well ok let's forget this thing, now talking about the second validation error, it is a typical one, saying :" This page is not Valid (no Doctype found)! "whereas my document has it alright<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html dir="LTR" lang="en"><head> <title>My site</title>

ok tried your one shows this errorThis page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!\but what's wrong in this i am not alone using it, i have seen many webpages with such codes. <!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

I think it's case-sensitive, so big letters should be big letters as defined on w3.org, and also maybe your doctype is too short, ie you only declare "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" but you should also declare "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd".

Wait, the doctype don't decide if your page is valid. I thought it didn't recognise the doctype. If it does that now, you have to decipher your code and see where your error is. What does it say further down on the validation page?

Ah, thanks. :)Looking down the page, you'll see where the errors on your page are."(no Doctype found)!"You should remove the doctype that is commented. I think comments before the <html> element confuses the validator because of the same beginning of "<!".http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%...ansitional&ss=1It helps if you show the source (at the bottom), cause then you can spot the errors (14) in lined and neat code."Line 17, column 18: there is no attribute "MARGINWIDTH" "This means that that attribute is not valid. I only ever use class/id attributes nowadays, so I no longer remember what the margin attributes are and on what elements they are allowed, but I'd suggest you switch to css.You can remove all the marginsomething attributes, and write in your css file:body {margin: 0;padding: 0;}and achieve the same effect, and valid."Line 238, column 72: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "osCsid" ."Here you should, when encoding url's, should escape "&" characters with & for ampersands. Everything is really explained in the error messages if you care to read it. http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#amp This error happens several times.Then there's the border="0" on the input element. I see you've used input for an image. I don't think border="" is valid on input elements, but you can use something else:style="border: 0;"and achieve the same effect.Check my attachment. That one is valid, but of course it's missing the php code.Whew. Long post. :)On a side note, nice site man... :)

index.html

On a side note, nice site man...thankswell thanks for your suggestions, all the errors except the one related & will not probably take much time. but it's real hard to convert everything to php, as this is an e-commerce site using session variables, i can't use pure html into it, i am even looking to convert the image map code to php. i know where the error & is related to, but i dont want to make any big changes to this, there is somewhere in a file "&" whereas it should be "&" so it's real tough, bcox after i make any change to the site, i need to check it right from the top to the bottom or else it wouldn't be possible to track down any errors later.regarding the error related to the image border i dont find any sound solution by looking at this php code: in this there is now where border defined neither related to BOX_HEADING_SEARCH' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' .

Hmm. Yeah, I guess that would prove some difficulty. If you pull everything out of a database, I don't know how to help you. :)

well now the errors regarding the margin dont sjow up. that' it. i applied it using css, but is it right for marginheight & marginwidthjust added this to my css margin: 0px;to my css. is it necessary to add all thismarginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0"

well now the errors regarding the margin dont sjow up. that' it. i applied it using css, but is it right for marginheight & marginwidthjust added this to my css margin: 0px;to my css. is it necessary to add all thismarginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0"

That should work, yeah. Maybe padding: 0; as well. You don't need the attributes, no.

Hmm, you say the html code is php generated, so you don't write it directly?It appears like this:<input type="image" src="includes/languages/english/images/buttons/button_quick_find.gif" border="0" alt="Product Search" title=" Product Search ">if you can search for that in your code perhaps, or parts of it, maybe you can find it outside the php?The & should at least be possible to find each by code search, and if found in a link, only then should you change it to &

it' getting nice and good than ever, i have surpassed all the errors now thanks to your and others help, now the & has been solved, now just remains the doctype error for my site, if you have any quick solution than please quote it here, as the doctype will not will not have any effect on my search engine ranking. now i would like to move to the next problem , the end to all.