Need help to build up UI to access back end database

roseli98

Dear All,

I am new to this forum so I apologize first if anyone asked this before. Further more, my questions might be basic as I had little experience.

Currently I am trying to design a UI to access back end database.
The front page should look like:
Header
Chart Menu 1
Menu 2
Menu 3
Table
There are short lists of check boxes in each menu and a longer list of check boxes in the table. Once one or more check boxes are picked, the chart will access the database and draw char 1 or chart 1 & 2 on the UI page. The data is **Live** Chart 1. If I decide to have Chart 2 (still planning), then Chart 2 should access **Existing** excel chart files that haven been generated already. Example of Chart 1 is <http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5EIXIC+Interactive#symbol=%5Eixic;range=1d;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;>
The two types of UI drafts are in the attached screenshots. My questions are:
1. Where to start? There are 2 parts: lay out and access the back end database. Should database be considered too while design the UI? Any difference for the UI codes (html/css/javascript) if to access MySQL or Oracle SQL ? And what language to use to access the database?
2. What are the best languages to design this UI layout? I did some research, html (div or table) might work but I am not sure it's good enough. Maybe html plus .css to format the layout?
How about Javascript? What can it do here?
3. Any other pointers that I can't think of?
Your sharing of experience is highly appreciated.
Rose

post-169350-0-51788400-1387607395_thumb.gif

post-169350-0-18619000-1387607396_thumb.gif

As for languages, you will use HTML to structure your pages, CSS to format/style them, and you could use JavaScript for some of the interactive content, but PHP is capable of many of the things you would do with JavaScript.