Drop down menu question

tinfoil

I was wondering if this was possible with a regular HTML drop down menu. I'll give yall a short version & a long version of the question.

short: Is it possible for a user to make a selection on a html drop down menu and a new thing show up without the whole page having to refresh & reload?

long: I want to show a line graph based on data gathered on the website itself. I want it to be adjustable by a drop down menu so that people can see the graph of a certain span of time. Kind of like a stock market graph. For example, I want a graph that can show how many votes a certain thing got on my site last week, last month, and all time. When the user selects a time time period from a drop down menu right above it, I want the appropriate graph to replace the previous one without the whole page having to refresh and reload.

So is this possible? if not what language should I use?

I'm kind of new to this stuff so I apologize if this has already been asked a lot.

Edited by tinfoil

So you want a menu inside of a menu? I can try and help with that but the information being drawn from the website and turned into a graph I have no clue how to do.

im not sure what you mean by menu inside of a menu, so let me try to word it a little better. Alright lets say theres that line graph of votes on my site and theres drop down menu right above it (i just looked it up & its actually called drop down list. My bad). Looks kind of like this, cept with different options & no submit button)

SelectionImage.png. The list options are 24 hrs, week, month, year, and all time. When the user selects a different time period, the graph shown currently is replaced with the graph of the time period the user chose. It is almost exactly like the stocks charts on yahoo finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#symbol=aapl;range=ytd;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;)

Except the only thing my site would have in common w/ the stock chart is that the 1D, 5D, YTD, 1M, 3M, etc buttons right below the graph are listed as options on a drop down list on my site. When you click on one of those buttons, the chart updates immediately without the whole page refreshing, and I was wondering if something similar was possible on HTML.

• 2 weeks later...