Php script & cron jobs do not works on background

denn0n

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I have the next problem I hope someone can advise.

I have a php script I need to run from cronjobs.

This script contains some commands shell_exec, fairly simple and the output is directed to a file, from the webmin module cronjobs goes well

but when running from cron, the commands shell_exec stops working

the cronjob is

* * * * * php /some/path/myscript.php

to make it easy

#!/usr/bin/php -q
<?php
$iptables=shell_exec('iptables -S ');
$file_name="/some/path/out_test.txt";
$ar=fopen("$file_name","w");
fputs($ar,$iptables);
fputs($ar,"nn");
fclose($ar);
?>

from the terminal when I run $ php /some/path/myscript.php as root, the file /some/path/out_test.txt is filled with the output of the command $ iptables-S

but when run from cron, the file is blank

Edited by denn0n

are you checking in an error log? it sounds like the user the cron is running under doesn't have privileges to run that script. where as from the command line, you are probably running as root.

are you checking in an error log? it sounds like the user the cron is running under doesn't have privileges to run that script. where as from the command line, you are probably running as root.

i do apreciate your help thescientist but it is solve , between you have right and other things, the paths to the commands have to be full and for some init process on ubuntu you should put sudo before and the error log it is a great ideai put this afther the comand on cron to get a new file log error 2>/var/log/crontab.err