Increment/decrement cookie based on button clicked

george

Not sure if I should post this in jQuery or php, as both languages are being used. The objective is to change the value of a cookie based on which button is pressed. In the code I have now, the posted value is not being received by the php script.

<?php if (!isset($_COOKIE['MyCookie']));	setcookie('MyCookie',0);$i = 0;echo (isset($_POST['slctn']))?"Post set to ".$_POST['slctn']:"post not set ";if (isset($_POST['slctn'])) {	echo $_POST['slctn'];	switch ($_POST['slctn'])	{		case "prev":			echo "Pressed Prev button";			break;			--$_COOKIE['MyCookie'];		case "save":			echo "Pressed Save button";			break;		case "next":			echo "Pressed Next button";			break;			++$_COOKIE['MyCookie'];	}	$i = $_COOKIE['MyCookie'];}echo "  $i";?><!DOCTYPE HTML><html><head>    <meta charset="utf-8">    <title>Cookie test</title>    <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-1.10.2.min.js"></script>    <script type="text/javascript">		$( document ).ready(function() {			$("input#prev").click(function() {				packet = this.id;				$.post('CookieTest.php', 'slctn=' + packet, function (response) {					$("#dbline").html(response);					alert('prev');				});			});			$("input#next").click(function() {				packet = this.id;				$.post('CookieTest.php', 'slctn=' + packet, function (response) {					$("#dbline").html(response);					alert('next');				});			});		});    </script></head><body>	<br>    <br>    <br>    <form action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method="post">    	<label for="selection">Make selction </label>    	<input id='selection' name='selection' value="Primary Selection Made"><br>        <input type="button" value="Prev" name="prev" id="prev">        <input type="button" value="Save" name="save" id="save">        <input type="button" value="Next" name="next" id="next">	</form></body></html>

Are you using developer tools to make sure the request is sent out correctly and with the value you expect? Are you logging / debugging $_POST to see what values are being set?

Edited by thescientist

@justsomeguy, removed semicolon. Original problem persists.

@thescientist, the 6th line of code checks to see if the post has been set, and if so, echo's it's value.

The value is not being set. Don't know why.

@thescientist, the 6th line of code checks to see if the post has been set, and if so, echo's it's value.

The value is not being set. Don't know why.

Yes, but you haven't said if you are doing any of the things I suggested.

Are you using developer tools to make sure the request is sent out correctly and with the value you expect? Are you logging / debugging $_POST to see what values are being set?

do you know about var_dump, for example?

http://www.php.net/var_dump

Edited by thescientist

In the example given, line 6

echo (isset($_POST['slctn']))?"Post set to ".$_POST['slctn']:"post not set ";

will echo "post not set" if the $_POST['slctn'] is not set.

If it is set, it will echo "Post set to ", and it will echo its value.

This method is more specific than var_dump. I also check the value of $_POST['slctn'] again in the switch statement.

It takes the same path each time. I had thought that by incrementing the value of $_COOKIE['MyCookie'] that would do it. But I needed to reset the cookie to it's new value.

Thanks again. You guys are the greatest.

• 1 month later...