Trying to format my own date value

solidstan

I have a working php file, which use lots of custom dates.

I am try to simply format an echoed out put, with no success(very new to php).

hope someone can help.

$rotaDate = date('23/2/14');$driverListDate = date('5/1/14');
//Calculate the differance between 2 dates function dateDiffInWeeks($date1, $date2,$noOfLines){    $first = DateTime::createFromFormat('d/m/Y', $date1);    $second = DateTime::createFromFormat('d/m/Y', $date2);    return (((floor($first->diff($second)->days/7))/$noOfLines) - floor((floor($first->diff($second)->days/7))/$noOfLines))*$noOfLines; }
function customData($con,$num,$driverListDate,$rotaDate,$noOfLines,$line){    if($line==getNewLine($con,$num,$driverListDate,$rotaDate,$noOfLines)) {      //echo date("jS F Y" );      //echo date('jS F Y', $rotaDate);      return $rotaDate;    }  }

Im trying to echo my date as "jS F Y" format.

This of course is not my full php file, but im sure its all thats relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Im sorry. Im new very new to php. Are you asking me if $rotaDate is a string?

Im not sure, that is why I showed it here:-

$rotaDate = date('23/2/14');

If I change this format in any shape or form, the that second function(which I copyed and pasted from the net) Fails!

Right now, my php page works perfect, except for the format that it outputs.

echo date_format($rotaDate, 'g:ia on l jS F Y'); 

I copyied this from the page you showed me, but AGAIN.. It Fails!

right, so as JSG was trying to get you to see, $rotaDate is a string, not a date object.

If $rotaDate is a string then you need to convert it to a DateTime object like you do in your first function, and then you can use DateTime::format to output it:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.format.php

like you already doing here

$first = DateTime::createFromFormat('d/m/Y', $date1);
Edited by thescientist

function customData($con,$num,$driverListDate,$rotaDate,$noOfLines,$line){    if($line==getNewLine($con,$num,$driverListDate,$rotaDate,$noOfLines)) {      //echo date("M d, Y" );      //echo date('M d, Y', $rotaDate);     // return $rotaDate;        $rotaDate = DateTime::createFromFormat('d/m/Y', $date1);            echo $date1;            echo $rotaDate;    }  }

No, This does nothing!

function customData($con,$num,$driverListDate,$rotaDate,$noOfLines,$line){    if($line==getNewLine($con,$num,$driverListDate,$rotaDate,$noOfLines)) {      //echo date("M d, Y" );      //echo date('M d, Y', $rotaDate);        $date = DateTime::createFromFormat('d/m/Y', $rotaDate);     return $date;

Catchable fatal error: Object of class DateTime could not be converted to string

Think im gona have to give up with this stuff.

So first thing is to know what you are working with. what do you get for output here if you echo? Do you know what you should get?

$rotaDate = date('23/2/14');$driverListDate = date('5/1/14');

The manual for date say's that you provide a _format_ as the first parameter and optional timestamp. in return you get a date _string_

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

I would personally try and stick with just working with either the procedural style or the object oriented style of date. I would try and create your initial dates as DateTime objects as such and then you can output the format simply and in any number of ways you need. Just make sure your functions expect your dates as DateTime objects.

$rotaDate = new DateTime(); //returns a DateTime objectecho 'Date => ' . $rotaDate->format("jS F Y");

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.construct.php

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.datetime.php

Edited by thescientist

Thanks, you make it sound easy.

I was getting "23/2/14" which I assume was a string.

I had tried so many different ways, I was convinced this was never going to work.

I had tried the datetime() function, but could only get current date.

Your Solution works perfectly. Thanks Millions.

my code is procedural, the bit of Object O posted above was what I have copied from elsewhere.

Thanks again, I now understand.. Solved! :)