Way of Encryption

birbal

I want to encrypt some text. But problem is i dont want to pass key for each encryption. Also i want to make sure that system does not know the key. The texts will be created by authenticated user. Any idea how could it be accomplished? As far i can think to create key from hash of some user data and other data mixed together. But that does not sound much secure. As seeing the code it will be easy to get the key.

There is option for pass key for each entry but i want to encrypt it anyway even user don't put key for the encryption text

Edited by birbal

Pretty vague description. Need more details. You want to encrypt some text on the browser? You are using or are not using SSL? How is user authenticated?

Edited by davej

By encrypting text i meant encrypting text on database using mcrypt. Ssl is not concern here.Users are authenticated using a login system

@justsomeguy yes but there will be many entries of text and i dont want user to remember that many keys. There should be a default one per user basis. And optional another way to pass key by user which will work as usual .yes i need to save it and also need to decrypt it.

Edited by birbal

@davej yes i want that data to be secure. Even if database is exposed there should be no way to read it.

Edited by birbal

More secure than the user authentication? Another level of password?

Why not let the user remember a key to a "key-box" which contains all the keys?

Edited by davej

If you need to decrypt the text then the server needs the key, so your options are to have the user store the keys and supply them for decryption, or have the server store them either directly or in a way that they can be calculated. Why not just store the key directly in the database? What is the nature of the text that you're trying to encrypt?

If you need to decrypt the text then the server needs the key, so your options are to have the user store the keys and supply them for decryption, or have the server store them either directly or in a way that they can be calculated. Why not just store the key directly in the database? What is the nature of the text that you're trying to encrypt?

If user specifies the key explicitly i could decrypt it ithout storing the key anywhere. For other case i think i need to do either of the way storing it or calculating it.

Does not storing the key in same machine even worse in same database looses the purpose of the key? I think calculating it will be better than storing it in database.

What is the nature of the text that you're trying to encrypt?

what do you mean?

Edited by birbal

Why not let the user remember a key to a "key-box" which contains all the keys?

It still needs to store somewhere which is i am trying to avoid.

Does not storing the key in same machine even worse in same database looses the purpose of the key? I think calculating it will be better than storing it in database.

It certainly decreases the security by either storing or calculating the keys on the server. If you need to store the keys in a different place then you either need a separate server to act as a dedicated key store, which still doesn't provide all that much security, or you need to have the user supply the key.

okay, it is clear now. As always Thanks for the help.

The basic problem seems to be the user's inability to remember and produce one or more huge passwords. Well, maybe you auto-generate the huge passwords and then email the customer a digital image of them? You say "print this image for your records and then please delete it from your e-mail inbox." You could even zip the image encrypted with a password.

Edited by davej