HELP- my webpage width is not the same in most browsers i tested them on

francis Aneke

I want to make my web pages to occupy the whole of my testing browsers. But instead, is either i got an over flowing width that extends at the far end of my browsers, or it will not be the same web page-width in most of the browsers i tested them on ,including firefox, opera, IE, Torch.......So what is the exact with in px should i give my outer div to make it occupy perfectly the whole of my browser and to make the with be the same in all browsers.

Am using external css to format my webpages

If there is any other way to do this please help me!

It's not the browser's width but it's the screen width. If you screen is set for 1600px but someone else's screen is set for 1280 then quite obviously that the site will be too wide for the other person. Also, the browser's vertical scrollbar with use anywhere from 18-24 pixels depending of the browser version you are using.

The way to work around this is to use responsive technique (google it). Frist option is to use percentages for the framework. This can be a bit challenging depending on your design. The second options is to use media query (google it). This will allow you define css to certain types of screen size (in pixels or dpi). I particularly like this method because it allows me to control for all types screen size including mobile/tablet devices.