ORDER BY name DESC LIMIT 0,1 NOT WORKING RIGHT

confused and dazed

Hello internet,

I am using the following calls to get an ordered list of largest to smallest info of all that row's data:

*NOTE: there are only 6 entries in mydatabase with grp='c'

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE grp='c' ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 0,1", $con); $rows = array();while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))...... more code to place data into a specific id to use an onload to populate objects

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE grp='c' ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 1,1", $con); $rows = array();while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))...... more code to place data into a specific id to use an onload to populate objects

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE grp='c' ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 2,1", $con); $rows = array();while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))...... more code to place data into a specific id to use an onload to populate objects

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE grp='c' ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 3,1", $con); $rows = array();while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))...... more code to place data into a specific id to use an onload to populate objects

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE grp='c' ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 4,1", $con); $rows = array();while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))...... more code to place data into a specific id to use an onload to populate objects

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE grp='c' ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 5,1", $con); $rows = array();while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))...... more code to place data into a specific id to use an onload to populate objects

What ends up happening is that I get a list together but here is what I get

DESC LIMIT 0,1 >>> this produces the second largest score - NOT the largest

DESC LIMIT 1,1 >>> this produces the third largest score

DESC LIMIT 2,1 >>> this produces the fourth largest score

DESC LIMIT 3,1 >>> this produces the fifth largest score

DESC LIMIT 4,1 >>> this produces the sixth largest score

DESC LIMIT 5,1 >>> this produces the LARGEST score - not the smallest

Good question - There is a good answer.

I need to have complete control over the names that come out of each individual row. I have it set up on my webpage so a user can click on that name and launch a very specific outcome for the name. Keep in mind that I am using an onload function to populate objects as soon as the webpage loads. This way a user can click on a a name and launch a very specific outcome. Using just one query for this limits the functionality I can place on the button object I have associated with each of the 6 names.

The "DESC LIMIT" seems to sort of work but not the way I want it.

I don't see any difference between what you're doing, and doing a single query with a counter to know which row you're processing, where you would do different things based on the row. It's also more efficient to send a single query.

Concatenate....... Right! Doh...!

'name_' . $x

So I changed my code to one query call but it still came up with the same problem... I also figured out why this was happening. When I set up score in the database I set it up as a varchar(4). What I dummy I can be sometimes! I changed it to an int(4) and everything is OK!

I also went back to my previous version of my code with 6 querys and it worked there as well (having it now as an int)