JavaScript username checker.

iRoot121

Hi, I'm trying to let JavaScript check if a givin user exist in the database.

It seems that the _check-user.php always returns 0, but if I fill in a name that doesn't exist, and echo out the result variable in JS, the echo will return 1.

Is there someone who could help me?

JavaScript part:

function checkUser() {    $.post("_check_user.php", { 'username': document.getElementById("username").value }, function(result) {        if (result == 1) {            document.getElementById("checkUser").className = "succes";            document.getElementById("checkUser").innerHTML = "Name is available";        }else{            document.getElementById("checkUser").className = "errormsg";            document.getElementById("checkUser").innerHTML = "Name is not available!";        }    });}

_check-user.php:

<?phpinclude("config.php");$result = mysql_query("SELECT login FROM users WHERE login='".clean_string($_POST["username"])."'");if(mysql_num_rows($result)>0){    echo 0;}else{    echo 1;}?>

It seems that the _check-user.php always returns 0, but if I fill in a name that doesn't exist, and echo out the result variable in JS, the echo will return 1.

What does that mean, does it always return 0 or not? Have you added code inside the response handler to see what the result is set to?