<embed> and <object> both supported by all browsers? (huh?)

L.Adlon

Hi. I'm a bit confused about something (...go figure).

According to the w3schools page on HTML helpers (plug-ins), <embed> and <object> are supposedly supported by 'ALL major browsers'.

Did I miss a meeting or something? ;)

I thought IE didn't support <embed> (...or was it <object>), and that's why we have to do the <object> and <embed> combination as a fallback.

If using HTML4.01 (...I know, I know... but just go with me on this...), can you now just use <embed> without the <object> fallback (...or vice versa, if I got that reversed)?

IE has been supporting <embed> since version 6, at least, which would be around 2002. Interestingly, <embed> wasn't even a standard then but all browsers supported it. This is why it was added into the HTML 5 standard. The <embed> tag was made up by Netscape and simply caught on with all browsers.

It's not valid HTML 4.01 to use the <embed> tag, so pages that were using it were wrong. The <object> tag was the standard way and it doesn't need an <embed> fallback, at least for Flash. Other plug-ins perhaps did, but not Flash. Plug-ins are being phased out now with HTML 5 being able to perform tasks that plug-ins used to do.

So, at this point in time, if using a HTML4.01 page, what is the 'best' way to embed a YouTube video?

I was using the <iframe> method that w3schools recommends, but (at least MY copy of) Internet Explorer would work up to the point where you play the video, then it would just go black and crash the site.

I wasn't sure if I could use the alternate <embed> method that w3schools suggests underneath that, due to my (mis)understanding of the browser support.