What doesn't support HTML5 these days?

L.Adlon

Just wondering what platforms/browsers wouldn't show a site properly, if I chose to do it in HTML5 these days.

(I guess I should add, the only HTML5 new feature that I'd be using (as far as I know) would be the <audio> and <video> tags.)

Edited by L.Adlon

Yep... But, at this point, as long as the 'error' of a browser not having the required plugin/compatible version doesn't break the site, and fails gracefully, I'm happy.

From what I've seen, that's the case. My vid page displayed on a browser that is not compatible, stays intact, and displays the issue and solution within the video frame automatically (...nice!). My music page, viewed on a browswer that is not compatible, simply doesn't show the audio control panels (...and I've added a note at the bottom of the page, suggesting to upgrade if you don't see the controls).

So, it's good.

I'll check out that modernizer link, though. Thanks for that.

Keep in mind that not everyone can upgrade. Believe it or not we still have a ton of XP users some of which are still using IE8. For those that are running still running IE9 and 10 may not want to upgrade for whatever reason.

Never the less, I am looking forward to where we don't have to worry about IE's quirks.

True enough... (Heck, I'm writing to you from an XP machine right now. I'm only now considering upgrading it (reluctantly) to Win7...)

I had decided to shrug off those who have old browsers or whatever, as it's a serious pain (and a sometimes destructive compromise) to add redundant code, etc just to make it 'work' on older browsers. Similarily, I'm no longer brutally compressing my image files, or catering to dial-up speeds.

At worst, they don't see my videos and hear my music, but they can still contact me and read about my works. The stuff is on YouTube... and if they can't even view that... then, well, they are out of luck.

I'm just glad it works for most of the current systems!