Hyperlink text sometimes gets clipped in IE

L.Adlon

Hello again. Weird random thing happening sometimes in IE on the site I'm working on.

I have a row of text hyperlinks (serving as nav buttons), with background colour, border, hover state, etc defined so they look like nice buttons.

All that works great, except sometimes, SEEMINGLY RANDOMLY, when viewed in Internet Explorer (11), the lower half of the text is invisible. Hovering over the hyperlinks fixes them ALL (not just the one you are over). No idea what that is about. Other pages would be fine, and which page has this glitch is random. It seems like the coding is fine (obviously works most of the time, and even on the other 4 pages when the one page DOES glitch...whichever page that may be at the time. Just seems like it's some hickup in the display or something. Not sure. And, only in IE.

I've made some changes to the stylesheet, and am frequently re-loading the pages, seeing if the glitch shows up again.

Just wondering if this kind of thing is something that someone here has seen before, and if they know what might be causing it (and how to fix it... if my recent change hasn't done that already).

I believe the background of the bottom half of the element (<a> tag with CSS styling for the border, etc) is intact when the bottom half of the text is invisible. I don't think any other element is blocking it or anything. Again, it's immediately fixed (on ALL the buttons) just by hovering over one of them.

Yep...

Pretty straightforward, really... Just the usual <a href="otherpage.html" alt="" style="navbutton">Click Here</a> type of thing, with the navbutton style defining things like the border width/color, the font properties, etc.

The coding works most of the time. It just sometimes seems to glitch... and I'm not sure if that's the code or the browser, or what. I can't think of what would make the bottom half of the text to be invisible... even if I WANTED to do that!

Firstly. this is not valid: style="navbutton"

Start commenting out all the css that is not related to the menu. Once you find that the menu no longer has the glitch, start adding back the commented out css a little bit at a time. If the glitch starts up again then at least you will narrow down what css might be the cause. You can do the same thing with html as well.

Oops, sorry... Typo. Ya, should be class="navbutton". The actual code says class. I'm just not fully awake yet!

I haven't seen the glitch for a while now, and it was only occassional, so it's hard to test it. I recently added a cursor:default; to the body tag, as I was getting some areas of the screen that were triggering the text edit cursor (annoying). I'm wondering if that might have fixed it. Not sure why it would, though.

It's a glitch that happens rarely.... almost seems like an inturrupted screen update.