How do I check if the first StartTime exist and then use it otherwise use the other one in CourseSessionBlock?

winkimjr2

In my xml there are 2 StartTime one near the top and another one which is the child of CourtSessionBlock. Sometimes, there will only be one StartTime which is the child of CourtSessionBlock. This is why I need to check to see if there is StartTime near the top. If it is there then I will use it. If it is not there, then I will use the one in the CourtSessionBlock. How do I do this?Here is my xml code:

<Setting ID="21613643" InternalSettingID="1622304543" Date="07/21/2014"><HearingDate>07/21/2014</HearingDate><StartTime>8:30 AM</StartTime><EndTime>9:30 AM</EndTime><CourtSessionName>Jackie - Doe</CourtSessionName><CourtSessionID ID="3177494" InternalCourtSessionID="1612374333"/><Calendar Word="05CAL">My County Court</Calendar><CalendarBaseCaseCategory>Probate Health</CalendarBaseCaseCategory><CourtResource><Type Word="JUD">Judicial Officer</Type><Code Word="00951B">Jane, Doe</Code></CourtResource><CourtSessionBlock InternalCourtSessionBlockID="1614615037"><StartTime>8:30 AM</StartTime><EndTime>9:30 AM</EndTime></CourtSessionBlock><InterpreterNeeded>false</InterpreterNeeded><TimestampCreate>07/15/2014 09:27:49:607</TimestampCreate></Setting>

In my xml there are 2 StartTime one near the top and another one which is the child of CourtSessionBlock. Sometimes, there will only be one StartTime which is the child of CourtSessionBlock. This is why I need to check to see if there is StartTime near the top. If it is there then I will use it. If it is not there, then I will use the one in the CourtSessionBlock. How do I do this?Here is my xml code:

<Setting ID="21613643" InternalSettingID="1622304543" Date="07/21/2014"><HearingDate>07/21/2014</HearingDate><StartTime>8:30 AM</StartTime><EndTime>9:30 AM</EndTime><CourtSessionName>Jackie - Doe</CourtSessionName><CourtSessionID ID="3177494" InternalCourtSessionID="1612374333"/><Calendar Word="05CAL">My County Court</Calendar><CalendarBaseCaseCategory>Probate Health</CalendarBaseCaseCategory><CourtResource><Type Word="JUD">Judicial Officer</Type><Code Word="00951B">Jane, Doe</Code></CourtResource><CourtSessionBlock InternalCourtSessionBlockID="1614615037"><StartTime>8:30 AM</StartTime><EndTime>9:30 AM</EndTime></CourtSessionBlock><InterpreterNeeded>false</InterpreterNeeded><TimestampCreate>07/15/2014 09:27:49:607</TimestampCreate></Setting>
.... There are many ways. This is a simple Boolean solution. It all depend on what you would like to use to solve this. What language are you more comfortable with? What all language do you know?

I am using xml and xslt to transform it. So what do you think I should do? I know I need to check to see if StartTime after the HearingDate is present, if it is I will use it. If it does not exist I will then use the StartTime the child of CourtSessionBlock. But I do not know how to do this.