Removing Line Break Between Echo XML Results

seblondres

Hi,

I've been working with the indeed jobs API and I have a line break after the title that Id'like to get rid off.

Jobs Results:

Graduate Scheme - 2015

Crossrail Ltd (2 days ago) London - Crossrail vacancies Graduate Scheme - 2015 Graduate Scheme - 2015 Job title Graduate Scheme - 2015... visit our designated Graduate Scheme page for more...

Here is the code:

foreach($xml->results->result as $result) {echo "<h3><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>";echo "<p><b>".$result->company."</b> (".$result->formattedRelativeTime.") <b>".$result->city."</b> - ".$result->snippet."</p>";} ?>
I can't find out why there is a line break between the two echo, any idea?
Many Thanks,
Edited by seb_london

because H3 and p tags are block elements meaning each will force a new line, you will have to apply display: inline; OR float: left; to both.

possible option add class the first element

<h3 class="InlineMeAndNext"><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>

css

.InlineMeAndNext, .InlineMeAndNext + * {  display:inline;}

will target h3 and first any sibling element following it.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have added the class + the css but I got the following error - see: http://gradsjobs.co.uk/

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/emploica/gradsjobs/indeed.php on line 35 - See more at: http://gradsjobs.co.uk/#sthash.tmliP1UT.dpuf

foreach($xml->results->result as $result) {		echo "<h3 class="InlineMeAndNext"><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>";		echo "<p><b>".$result->company."</b> (".$result->formattedRelativeTime.") <b>".$result->city."</b> - ".$result->snippet."</p>";} ?>

It because of quotes for class name

echo "<h3 class="InlineMeAndNext"><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>";

you will have to escape them so they not treated as ending text to insert php coding

text

php

original code

echo "<h3><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>";

new code

echo "<h3 class="InlineMeAndNext"><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>"; //see how it thinks class name is php code

should be

echo "<h3 class="InlineMeAndNext"><a href=".$result->url.">".$result->jobtitle."</a></h3>"; //now it ignore quotes

i prefer to do it this way

echo '<h3 class="InlineMeAndNext"><a href="'.$result->url.'">"'.$result->jobtitle.'"</a></h3>';

by using single quotes you don't need to escape, when you insert php you use single quotes

'.$result->url.'

'.$result->jobtitle.'

within double, the html shown is as you would normally see it without escaping the quotes all the time, which can be difficult to spot sometimes.

ok thanks a lot, the space is gone now. But the description is now next to the title instead of being just below and if I add a <br> at the end, I end up with the space again :facepalm:

Currently:

Purchasing Graduate Development Programme - UKRolls-Royce (7 days ago) - Rolls-Royce Purchasing Graduate Development Programme... possible value from that spend. Our Purchasing Graduate Development Programme is designed to give you an...

But I'd like the description just below with no space between the title and the description.

Purchasing Graduate Development Programme - UK

Rolls-Royce (7 days ago) - Rolls-Royce Purchasing Graduate Development Programme... possible value from that spend. Our Purchasing Graduate Development Programme is designed to give you an...

Edited by seb_london

That's not a line break problem then, that's just a margin problem with <h3> an following paragraph

option 1

.InlineMeAndNext {  margin-bottom: 8px;}/* adjust to requirements */.InlineMeAndNext + * { margin-top: 8px}/* adjust to requirements */

option2

.InlineMeAndNext + * { margin-top: -16px}/* adjust to requirements */