information about selection code

ragekc

i have the folowing code:"SELECT LAST(codigocliente) AS highest_codigocliente FROM tblsorteio ORDER BY codigocliente";all that does(i think)...gets the last entry in the colum(codigocliente)...and the order by, orders them in onder from least to greatest...so codigo cliente = client code ... so it pulls out the last client registered in the DB ....i wanna know what does the part ... AS highest_codigocliente , do and do i need it in the code??w3schools said its an expression.. what is an expression??.. the resto of the code i understand.and one last thing .... if i can eliminate the ( AS highest_codigocliente ) how would the code look like??THANKS!!!!!!

it is just 'renaming' the column.when you access it through your data array (Server Side Script) or it is displayed in your database program the column title will be highest_codigocliente instead of LAST(codigocliente)It is mostly for SQL Reports and such where you want hte output to look nice.

You do can just delete that part, it would just validly look like this:

SELECT LAST(codigocliente) FROM tblsorteio ORDER BY codigocliente
But as aspnetguy said, the column then would be named (in the results) as "LAST(codigocliente)" :)