george

This should be real simple

Here is my code:

The code fails at line 36:

$txt = substr($mtcontent, 0, strpos($mtcontent, "</title>")+7);
<!DOCTYPE HTML><html><head>	<meta charset="utf-8">	<title>Untitled Document</title>	<style type="text/css">		body { margin:20px; padding:0; background-color:#0000FF; color:#FFFF00; }	</style></head><body><h3>/* make a copy of the file to parse for assurance */</h3><br><?php 	copy("C:UsersownerDesktopPLUcodes.htm", "C:UsersownerDesktopworkfile.htm");	if(!file_exists("C:UsersownerDesktopworkfile.htm")) {		die("File not found");	} else {		echo "got copy";	}?><br><h3>/* get a file handel for the workfile */</h3><br><?php 	$myfile = fopen("C:UsersownerDesktopworkfile.htm", "r") or die("Unable to open file!");?><h3>/* copy content of workfile into a var, $mtcontent, for parsing */</h3><br><?php	$mtcontent = fread($myfile,filesize("C:UsersownerDesktopworkfile.htm"));?><h3>/* we don't need the file workfile.htm open anymore, so close it using the file handel for that file */</h3><br><?php 	fclose($myfile);?><h3>/* get the content of our string from the first byte up to the closing title tag */</h3><br><h3>/* well put it in a varable called $txt */</h3><br><?php 	$txt = substr($mtcontent, 0, strpos($mtcontent, "</title>")+7);	echo $txt;?><h3>/* then add the string litteral <head><body> to the end of our string */</h3><br><h3>/* have to use the HTML code for the grater and less than symbols, else won't work */</h3><br><?php 	$txt .= '<head><body>'?><h3>/* lets see what we have */<h3><br><?php 	echo $txt;?></body></html>

I have tried using

strpos($mtcontent, "<‚ĀĄtitle>") instead of strpos($mtcontent, "</title>") 

But that causes the page to render strangely wrong.

At the end of the page, I want to echo the variable txt, but it appears to be empty.

Edited by george

how does $txt echos?

Edited by niche

Since the content of the variable I want to echo is HTML code, maybe there is some way I need to escape it, or echo it to a variable, and then populate an innerHTML with it? I do not want the HTML I am outputting to be used by the browser as HTML on the fly. I want to display the HTML as content.

Are you trying to achieve output similar to this?

<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>        <meta charset="UTF-8">        <title>show html on page using php</title>    </head>    <body>        <?php        $mtcontent = '<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>        <meta charset="UTF-8">        <title></title>    </head>    <body>              </body></html>';        $txt = substr($mtcontent, 0, strpos($mtcontent, "</title>") + 8);        ?>        <pre>            <?php            echo htmlspecialchars($txt);            ?>        </pre>    </body></html>
Edited by dsonesuk