Self Hosting

Professor GIBS

If I were to purchase, or register a domain name, can I self host it with WAMP?

not that i know of, since wamp is more of a local server for your personal computer

Yes, you can, but you'll have to ask your service provider to give your home a fixed IP address, then use that as a nameserver for the domain. You'll also have to configure your router to direct all incoming traffic through port 80 to go to your computer, so you'll need a fixed internal IP as well.

Disadvantages are: the page will be very slow to load for visitors and you'll probably reach your service plan's bandwidth cap pretty quickly depending on how popular your website becomes. Your computer also becomes more vulnerable to security threats.

Okay thank you, uhm. See, I was looking at Host Monster for the hosting service I wanted, but it would cost me $300... I just wanted to buy my domain name, and then go on to have free hosting. I'm really just not sure how to go about doing this.

Okay thank you, uhm. See, I was looking at Host Monster for the hosting service I wanted, but it would cost me $300... I just wanted to buy my domain name, and then go on to have free hosting. I'm really just not sure how to go about doing this.

try godaddy

Lots of free hosts allow you to attach a domain name to your website, I did that for a while. You have to check the information about your webhost to find out if it can be done and how. For example: 000webhost has the information here: http://www.000webhost.com/free-domain-hosting

I had a terrible experience with 000webhost. As long as the webpage is essentially idle they ignore it, but if it attracts even a tiny amount of traffic they find an excuse to shut it down. So you think you have a place to use, but as soon as you try to use it, as soon as you post a link saying "Here are some 640x480 photos of the item" and twelve people go to look, the idiots block access to your webpage and claim that they suddenly need to conduct an "audit" of the webpage. The "audit" never ends.

The memory of 000webhost still has me totally steamed. You create a tiny webpage and then they block it with a permanent audit notification that implies that your webpage was a huge cache of questionable material.

Okay, uhm.. All I want is to purchase a domain name so nobody else buys it before me. Then, I would like to self host on that website. My question is; Is this even possible?

Okay, uhm.. All I want is to purchase a domain name so nobody else buys it before me. Then, I would like to self host on that website. My question is; Is this even possible?

Yes it's possible. Also, you can buy the domain name and just hold onto it until whenever you're ready to use it for a website.

Yes, as Don says you can buy a domain name right now in order to reserve it, and the domain will usually appear online almost immediately with a page that says something like "Website under construction, please come back later."

Okay, sorry for the late response. Thank you guys so much, you all have been such a big help! :)