Update HTML version - how to?

A_tom

This menu is not really great, as it uses separated parent and individual sub-menus, and relies on js to work, new menus these days can work by default without js, and parent and sub-menu are kept as one grouped menu, the effects are added as extra feature.

Well, thanks for your help. I would switch to something better/simpler/more up to date, but I suspect doing that and keeping the appearance the same as what I have might be more trouble than it's worth.

I've gone through a number of pages and been able to get them to validate as html5, and the pages all seem to be working ok. However, I'm still wondering about this code:

<!--
<meta name="document_iterator.js" />
<meta name="find_proxy.js" />
<meta name="get_html_text.js" />
<meta name="global_constants.js" />
<meta name="name_injection_builder.js" />
<meta name="number_injection_builder.js" />
<meta name="string_finder.js" />
<meta name="change_sink.js" />
-->
There are three or four copies of this in the head section of every page. I've just been commenting them out and it doesn't seem to affect anything, but they must have had some purpose originally, so I'd like to figure out what that was. I do not have any of the .js files in my system.
Any ideas?

In addition to the anomalous meta tags, there is also several copies of some chrome extensions (which code will not display here) in the head section of all my pages. It doesn't seem to do anything. Is there a legitimate reason for it's being there?

Edited by A_tom

It seems the meta tag JavaScript links are to do with Chrome which has a Skype extension for Click and Call, this code is added to source, which may have been copied and pasted for your pages without you realising you had copied this code as well, so its okay to remove it.

This work with original menu css, images to produce the same effect using jquery, it work without js/jquery also, and will produce a better seo friendly menu. you may have adjust image location for background image.

<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">        <meta name="viewport" id="viewport" content="target-densitydpi=high-dpi,initial-scale=1.0,user-scalable=no" />        <title>Document Title</title>        <script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.0/jquery.min.js"></script>        <script  type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ddlevelsfiles/ddlevelsmenu-base.css" />        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ddlevelsfiles/ddlevelsmenu-topbar.css" />        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ddlevelsfiles/ddlevelsmenu-sidebar.css" />        <script>            $(function() {                $("#ddsidemenubar li").hover(function() {                    var current_width = $(this).find('a').next('ul').width();                    $(this).find('a').next('ul').eq(0).show().css({width: 0});                    $(this).find('a').next('ul').animate({width: current_width}, 250, function() {                    });                },                        function() {                            $(this).find('a').next('ul').hide();                        });            });        </script>        <style type="text/css">            #ddsidemenubar  ul, #ddsidemenubar li   {                list-style-type: none;                margin:0;                padding:0;                text-indent:0;            }            #ddsidemenubar ul {z-index: 5;background-color: #F2F2F2;}            #ddsidemenubar ul li {position: relative;  white-space: nowrap; background: none;}            #ddsidemenubar ul li a {background-color: transparent;}            #ddsidemenubar ul ul li a {padding-right: 8px;  width: 170px; background: none;border-bottom: 1px solid #000;padding: 4px 8px 4px 5px;}            #ddsidemenubar ul li a:hover {background-color: #000; color: #fff;}            #ddsidemenubar ul ul{position: absolute; left: 20px; top: -1px; display: none; z-index: 100;background-color:#FFFFE0; border: 1px solid #000; border-width: 1px 1px 0;}            #ddsidemenubar .rightarrowpointer {top:0;}            #ddsidemenubar ul li:hover > ul{ visibility: visible; left: 100%; display: block;}            #ddsidemenubar .parent {background: url('ddlevelsfiles/arrow-right.gif') no-repeat 160px 4px; }            #ddsidemenubar ul ul .parent {background: url('ddlevelsfiles/arrow-right.gif') no-repeat 172px 4px; }        </style>    </head>    <body>        <div id="ddsidemenubar" class="markermenu">            <ul>                <li><a href="index.html">HOME</a></li>                <li class="parent"><a href="#">SYSTEMS</a>                    <!--begin sub menu level 1-->                    <ul>                        <li><a href="ESCombo7.html">ESCombo7</a></li>                        <li><a href="X3X4Combo.html">X3X4Combo</a></li>                        <li  class="parent"><a href="SIF_ESCombo2.0.html">SIF_ESCombo2.0</a>                            <!--begin sub menu level 2 below is for testing only duplicate menus-->                            <ul>                                <li><a href="Alligator2014.html">Alligator2014</a></li>                                <li><a href="AlligatorPlus.html">Alligator Plus</a></li>                                <li><a href="NQMomentum.html">NQ Momentum</a></li>                            </ul>                            <!-- end submenu level 2-->                        </li>                        <li><a href="ESCombo3.0.html">SIF_ESCombo3.0</a></li>                        <li><a href="Alligator2014.html">Alligator2014</a></li>                        <li><a href="AlligatorPlus.html">Alligator Plus</a></li>                        <li><a href="NQMomentum.html">NQ Momentum</a></li>                        <li><a href="ES14A.html">ES14A Strategy</a></li>                        <li><a href="disclosure.html">Disclosure</a></li>                    </ul>                    <!-- end submenu level 1-->                </li>                                <li><a href="about.html">ABOUT SIF</a></li>                <li><a href="FAQ.html">FAQ</a></li>                <li><a href="contact.html">CONTACT</a></li>                <li><a href="http://www.siftradingsystems.blogspot.com">SIF Blog</a></li>                <li><a href="CFTC_Disclaimer.html">CFTC Rule</a></li>            </ul>        </div>    </body></html>
Edited by dsonesuk

Seems I'm not finished after all. Many of my pages have FusionCharts code in them: Here is an example:

<div style="text-align: center">      <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="500" height="300" id="Line" >         <param name="movie" value="../FusionCharts/Column2D.swf" />         <param name="FlashVars" value="&dataURL=clientFTP/ESCombo7MoBar.xml&chartWidth=500&chartHeight=300">         <param name="quality" value="high" />         <embed src="../FusionCharts/Column2D.swf" flashVars="&dataURL=clientFTP/ESCombo7MoBar.xml&chartWidth=500&chartHeight=300" quality="high" width="500" height="300" name="Column2D" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />      </object></div>

I get a number of validation errors associated with this. I am unable to work my way through them. The first one is changing classid to data. No problem. Next, I get

& did not start a character reference. (& probably should have been escaped as &.)… <param name="FlashVars" value="&dataURL=clientFTP/ESCombo7MoBar.xml&cha…

which I cannot figure out.

This has to do with HTML entities

The solution to your problem is to just substitute the & for &. I would recommend reading what an entity is and why it is used so that you can understand what is actually happening.

Thanks. I had tried that already, but it seemed to not do the trick until I realized I had a stray line of code which created some momentary confusion. I do always try to figure things out on my own before bothering others.