Sign in to follow this  
Notretsam

countdown timers on webpage triggered by page activity.

Hope I explain this well enough for people to understand what am trying to do.

Am mostly a PHP developer and use mySql for database storage, so out of my element here.

I am working on a wrestling game and think I mostly got it worked out, however am struggling on "match countdown times"

I been Google searching on countdown timers and did suspect, that javascript would be needed and possible ajax.

There going be 2 to 4 players and each player will have a certain time before being counted out.

When the match is setup by someone, they can select from a variety off options for match length, 5mins, 1 day, 3 days, 5 days, 7 days etc.

Am trying to find a way to store a timer for each player in a database table, then output it on a page and show the time remaining for the player. lol I realize it not exactly an easy thing am trying to do, but really am at a lose on where to start here.

So any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I do need a way to convert the variables with the timer information over to PHP though.

As long as you save the start time to a table, you'll always be able display accurate elasped time.

Something like this will get you started:

https://mindgrader.com/tutorials/1-how-to-create-a-simple-javascript-countdown-timer

Else, google "javascript countdown clock" for more options.

I did think of using time(); use that on any posts on sites, an use the following code to change time.

function timestampsw($original) {    // array of time period chunks    $chunks = array(        array(60 * 60 * 24 * 365 , 'year'),        array(60 * 60 * 24 * 30 , 'month'),        array(60 * 60 * 24 * 7, 'week'),        array(60 * 60 * 24 , 'day'),        array(60 * 60 , 'hour'),        array(60 , 'minute'),    );        $today = time(); /* Current unix time  */    $since = $today - $original;        // $j saves performing the count function each time around the loop    for ($i = 0, $j = count($chunks); $i < $j; $i++) {                $seconds = $chunks[$i][0];        $name = $chunks[$i][1];                // finding the biggest chunk (if the chunk fits, break)        if (($count = floor($since / $seconds)) != 0) {            // DEBUG print "<!-- It's $name -->n";            break;        }    }        $print = ($count == 1) ? '1 '.$name : "$count {$name}s";        if ($i + 1 < $j) {        // now getting the second item        $seconds2 = $chunks[$i + 1][0];        $name2 = $chunks[$i + 1][1];                // add second item if it's greater than 0        if (($count2 = floor(($since - ($seconds * $count)) / $seconds2)) != 0) {            $print .= ($count2 == 1) ? ', 1 '.$name2 : ", $count2 {$name2}s";        }    }    return $print;}  

I include that page in and use below coding on page.

$timePost = timestampsw($testtime2);

I then get output like 3months, 2 weeks and so on.

$testtime2 would be filled with database field , which $time() would be added to.

the website you linked in niche shows coding I saw on some other web pages , but that one walks you through it step by step, which could help me.

Let us know.

sadly I went to end of that page niche, copied the coding into a page, and added the script tags around it, didn't work for me. didn't really fill me with confidence when the end code on page doesn't work, so I moved on.

did come across this yesterday http://keith-wood.name/countdown.html , which did get working.

coding is similar to website u linked, an does work like it says, hard for me to recode it to do what I want though, as am not a javascript coder.

Also I realized today, I actually want timer for player to stop and only start again when it there turn.

I did work out coding for a "match timer" today and it works perfectly, used the timestamp function above to do that. so got an option to use a match timer instead of individual player timers. It not really what I wanted but does fit with wrestling, as time limits are usually on matches and not individuals.

I also came across this today http://snipplr.com/view/1524/

Certainly know using time() and storing it in a database is way to go on this. its just how to use that timestamp after retrieving it from database.