Best web design process for data input, storage & display

old guy

Hi,

I've just built a basic web site, but I now realise (by going through the process) that I need to understand other languages & processes in order to make the site streamlined & fully functional. Because I've only learnt html & css (on a basic level) my understanding of php, sql, js, xml, etc is very poor. I therefor need some advice on what the best mechanisms are for inputting data, storing it & displaying it on the web, possibly with some type of rss feed too.

The basic process the site is doing, can be described as follows:

1. Users enter data using an online form.

2. Data is stored on a database & manually verified.

3. Certain info from the database is automatically displayed on the site (but not all) in a friendly viewable format.

4. Every time the site is updated a feed is created (like an rss or blog).

The first two processes I have achieved, but I am exploring ways of achieving the 3rd & 4th processes. Any advice on what methods or languages would be best to use would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to learn any coding required.

The data set can be stored in various formats (xlsx, csv, ods, tsv, etc), its really a question of the best way to interpret it & automatically display it that I am exploring. Along with creating the feed. Thanks for any advice.

Old Guy.

How are you storing the data into the database, and in what way are you verifying it?

The same languages used to store data into a database are also capable of ensuring it's valid and retrieving it from the database to show it on a page. That would be PHP and SQL. You can also use PHP to generate RSS feeds from database information.

Thanks,

FoxyMod: I'm currently reading up on php & sql & as you mention they seem to be able to do what I require.

DevotedMember: Whats CMS? I'm happy to write the code or assemble &/or edit patches of code. Alternatively if there are any plug ins or bits of freeware around that will save me time, then I'm happy to use them instead (but only if they work!!).

Thanks.

For example see...

http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/wordpress-tutorials-designers-1012990

The upside is that a CMS such as WordPress can produce a feature-rich website far more quickly and easily.

The downside is that it is "feature-rich" and complex and you immediately have a giant complex website with all sorts of configuration menus and gadgets and then have to struggle to learn how to configure it to do what you want and not do a lot of stuff that you don't want.