Do i need to learn algorithms and data strcutures in order to be called a JavaScript programmer

kodejuice

Javascript is not usually concerned with such things, but if you want to be considered a programmer then yes you probably would be expected to know something about those areas, but probably using another language such as C++.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2657504/choice-of-programming-language-for-learning-data-structures-and-algorithms

Yes, you do. Javascript is no longer just a small scripting language to make flashy effects on a website, it's pretty much a full programming language in which you can make virtually anything. Applications such as Office365 and Google Docs are made in Javascript and there are entire videogames made with it these days.

If you just want to make a few effects on your websites you don't have to learn algorithms and data structures, but if you actually want a job as a Javascript programmer for any company then you really need to know these.

Yes, you do. Javascript is no longer just a small scripting language to make flashy effects on a website, it's pretty much a full programming language in which you can make virtually anything. Applications such as Office365 and Google Docs are made in Javascript and there are entire videogames made with it these days. If you just want to make a few effects on your websites you don't have to learn algorithms and data structures, but if you actually want a job as a Javascript programmer for any company then you really need to know these.

Thanks alot, please can you recommend any algorithm/data structures book for a javascript programmer.

Most books on the subject will not be specifically for Javascript. Just learn the concepts in general, they're useful for any language.

I learned from university and my own experience so I don't know any books in particular.

I myself find it a little difficult to imagine, since Javascript doesn't have pointers or structs or typed variables or memory management or collections. There are books on the topic though, so I guess something relevant is taught...

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920029557.do

Also I found this... which looks interesting...

http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/javascript/5328-javascript-data-structures-the-linked-list.html

I created a linked list for one of my projects because an ordinary array was too costly to navigate for what I was using it for.

The DOM itself is a large tree/list structure and understanding algorithms is important if you want to navigate the tree either iterating or through recursive functions.

In Javascript, properties that contain arrays or objects are like a pointer (it's called a "reference" because you can't actually manipulate the value of the pointer itself).