Deprecated tags/elements

reportingsjr

Hi, I sometimes asked about a tags or an element and people responded with "that tag is deprecated!", so I decided to create this list of things that are deprecated. Please add on and correct me if I am wrong.This shows tags and attributes, plus a short description of what each did next to it.

[b]HTML[/b][list][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] Center[b]Description:[/b] Aligns elements vertically, shorthand for align=center[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with css align[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] Font[b]Description:[/b] Makes local changes to fonts[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with the font attributes in css[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] S[b]Description:[/b] Strike through text style[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with css text-decoration[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Elemement[b]Name:[/b] U[b]Description:[/b] Underlined text style[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with CSS text-decoration[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] I[b]Description:[/b] Italicized text style[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with CSS text-decoration[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] Strike[b]Description:[/b] Stike through text style[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with CSS text-decoration[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] Applet[b]Description:[/b] [b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] Dir[b]Description:[/b] Defines a directory list[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Element[b]Name:[/b] Basefont[b]Description:[/b] Definesa base font size[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Align[b]Description:[/b] Aligns objects horizontally[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Alink[b]Description:[/b] Defines the color of selected links[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with CSS a:visited[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Alt[b]Description:[/b] Short description for the applet element[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Archive[b]Description:[/b] Comma-seperated archive list[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Background[b]Description:[/b] Texture tile for document backgrounds[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with CSS background-image[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Border[b]Description:[/b] Border width for active objects[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Bgcolor[b]Description:[/b] Background color for a tag[b]Replacement:[/b] Replaced with CSS background-color:[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Code[b]Description:[/b] Applet class file(for applet element)[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Color[b]Description:[/b] Text color[b]Replacement:[/b] CSS color:[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Face[b]Description:[/b] Cooma-seperated list of font names[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Height[b]Description:[/b] Height for a cell[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Link[b]Description:[/b] Color of links[b]Replacement:[/b] CSS a:link[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Noshade[b]Description:[/b] Makes lighter colored horizontal rules[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Nowrap[b]Description:[/b] Supresses word wrap[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Text[b]Description:[/b] Document text color[b]Replacement:[/b] CSS color:[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Type[b]Description:[/b] list item, numer, and bullet style[b]Replacement:[/b] CSS list-style-type:[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Vlink[b]Description:[/b] Color of visited links[b]Replacement:[/b] CSS a:visited[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Isindex[b]Description:[/b] [b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Menu[b]Description:[/b] defins a one column menu[b]Replacement:[/b] Elements UL, OL, and DL[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] XMP[b]Description:[/b] [b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Valign[b]Description:[/b] Vertically aligns a tag[b]Replacement:[/b] CSS align:[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Target[b]Description:[/b] defines where to laod the new document[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Name[b]Description:[/b] Defines a name for the element form for javascript uses[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Size[b]Description:[/b] Height of the horizontal rule[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Width[b]Description:[/b] Width for the elements hr, pre, th, and td[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Hspace[b]Description:[/b] the space at both sides of the elements Img and Objects[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Vspace[b]Description:[/b] the space at the top and bottom of the elements Img and Objects [b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Value[b]Description:[/b] The number of an item in a list[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Compact[b]Description:[/b] whether to render the list for OL and UL shortly or not[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Start[b]Description:[/b] the starting number of the ordered list[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Type[b]Description:[/b] which list marker to use (A,a,I,i,1) for the OL and UL elements[b]Replacement:[/b][*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] Attribute[b]Name:[/b] Language[b]Description:[/b] in whatever language the script was written (eg. javascript or vbscript)[b]Replacement:[/b][/list]

put it in this format if you submit anything please (in code tags)

[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b][b]Name:[/b] [b]Description:[/b] [b]Replacement:[/b]

Edited by reportingsjr

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more deprecated attributes:Target - for anchor, as well as base, form, link and maparea elements.> defines where to laod the new document in (top window, new window, frame, etc)---Align - for caption, as well as the div, hr, img, input, legend, object, p, table and header elements   (not depreciated for both col and colgroup elements)> how the alignment of the element should be, left, centered or right---Name - for the form element (huh? :))> define a name for the form for javascript use---Size - for the hr element> the vertical depth of the horizontal rule---Width - for the hr, as well as the pre, th and td elements> the horizontal size of the element---Hspace - for both the img and object elements> the space at both horizontal sides (left / right) of the element---Vspace - for both the img and object elements> the space at both vertical sides (top / bottom) of the element---Value - for the li element> the number of the item in the list---Compact - for both the ol and ul elements> whether to render the list shortly or not---Start - for the ol element> the starting number of the ordered list---Type - for both the ol and ul elements> which list marker to use (A,a,I,i,1)---Language - for the script element> in whatever language the script was written (eg. javascript or vbscript)This completes your list, but with exclusion of frame attributes, and attributes that are not crossbrowser.

Edited by Dan The Prof

true enough, maybe we could have one of these in each scripting forum? I just thought this would be pretty helpful. Im too lazy to search for a list of deprecated elements so this should be helpful..

Also Dan, the word is deprecated, not depreciated, from the infinitive to deprecate. When something depreciates (like a stock) it goes down in value. Depreciation is the opposite of appreciation. But we are talking about deprecation, which is entirely different.

One letter too much :blink: how could I have mistaken that :) I've read the word somany times, and still I think it is with an I.. :blink:Sorry :) loldeprecated, deprecated, deprecated.... *goes on* Now I know :)

Um... don't W3Schools have some references for such things?

Um... don't W3Schools have some references for such things?

they have, but only for the entire list of tags and attributes, not for the deprecated only :)So I think this might get pinned, if the mods agree, and if it would be usefull. But still, I only think it would be in this Html/Xhtml forum, while in the others it doesn't have any meaning.

True enough. Does w3schools even show deprecated elements?

Yes, not all in one place though i don't think: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.aspJust an observation, it's all very well having a big list of deprecated tags but what do you think the viewer is going to ask themselves? answer "what should i use now".So why don't you add beside your list of deprecated tags there replacements...Good idea though :)

Well thought Scott :)But I think the arrangement would get a problem if we add all those things we tell about the attris and elems. :)-element/attribute-name of item-description (what does it do)-description (for what element does this attribute count)-replacementCannot be all on one line :)[*Edit:]I have an idea.reportingsjr has made an items list of all these deprecated elems and attris, which is a good thing. Then we can think of something more like this:

• Elem/attri: ElementName: CenterDescription: centeres some elements within its parent horizontallyReplacement: apply style="text-align:center" to the parent
  • Elem/attri: ...Name: ......

Edited by Dan The Prof

Looks a lot better doesn't it :)But would you replace the replacements with the life css styles? :)like:

[*][b]Elem/attri:[/b] something[b]Name:[/b] something[b]Description:[/b] something[b]Replacement:[/b] [i]CSS statement[/i]

Well, sort of almost all of them, lolI mean at least the ones that are, else it would be a bit boring if you repeat "replaced with css someting" :)Also, don't you think this list is actually rather quite big? :)

In addition to this:

Elem/attri: ElementName: CenterDescription: Aligns elements vertically, shorthand for align=centerReplacement: Replaced with css alignElem/attri: ElementName: FontDescription: Makes local changes to fontsReplacement: Replaced with the font attributes in css
I would add what the specific replacement is and a link to it's "tryit editor". Like so:Elem/attri: ElementName: CenterDescription: Aligns elements vertically, shorthand for align=centerReplacement: Replaced with "text-align: value" - See Text AlignElem/attri: ElementName: FontDescription: Makes local changes to fontsReplacement: Replaced with "font-family: value" - See Font Family

Another small protest to all of this... could you possibly make a site of yours that would contain this data? It would be a lot more... um... readable... that way. Not to mention it would actually be spectacular enough. I've always wanted to see such a list in a huge table (imagine each of your list rows as table cell and each list item as table row).

Yeah, readability is the issue now. It would probably be easier to find what you are looking for if you group things into elements and attributes (have a list of each), ordered alphabetically by name. Right now with the element/attribute item the first in the list, it makes it hard to scan for a certain thing you are looking for by name.