Nested Sets - updating/moving nodes and their child nodes too

Lykos22

Hi, I'd like some help please.

I'm trying to create the functionality for managing menu items, using nested sets. So far I have created the functionality for adding new nodes/menu items and also deleting them and works fine (INSERTING and DELETING).

My problem is that I can't figure out how to do the UPDATE, i.e to move a node and its child nodes (if any) and set it as a child node, change the node/menu items order of display etc etc.

I did a research on google, but wasn't friendly enough, perhaps I used and wrong keywords. Adnyway does anyone knows what pseudo - sql queries I must use and the logic in order to update nodes?

thanks in advance

Edited by Lykos22

What do you have so far, what database structure have you set up?

Yes I have set up my database like this

id (pk)menu_itemparent_id lftrgt

and I have also created the functionality for adding nodes/menu items and deleting them.

Now I'd like to do the update functionality, where basicly I can move nodes (and their child nodes too if any) everywhere inside the tree. for that I'm planning to use the nestedSortable plugin ( http://mjsarfatti.com/sandbox/nestedSortable/ ).

Ijust can't figure out the "update nodes" logic, you know, what steps I should follow to do that. Could you give me some pseudo - sql queries that are used for this functionality?

It seems like moving a node would just mean changing the parent ID, right? So just a basic update query to update the parent ID would do it.

No I'm afraid you 're probably refering to the adjaceny model. I use the nested sets model ( mptt ). This link explains each one pretty well.

I would also have to change and the left (lft) and right (rgt) values not only from the node selected, but from the rest of the nodes of the tree too.