Vertical centering a div or <p>

tijs

Good evening everyone,

I was just looking for the best manner to center a div element in another div element both horizontal and vertical.

I found different styles to do this on the internet and I finnaly succeeded by doing this:

div.outer {display: table-cell;width: 500px;height: 500px;vertical-align: middle;text-align: center;}div.inner {display: inline-block;width: 200px;height: 200px;text-align: left;}
<div class="outer"><div class="inner">your content</div></div>

So I was wondering if this is the best manner and if setting the .outer class in a table-cell, has this other influences on the div element? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks guys!

Good evening

table-cell will only work for Internet Explorer 8 and above. If you're OK with that then I think this shouldn't be a problem. I can't find it explicitly written anywhere at the moment, but I seem to remember that some browsers required the table-cell to be inside an element with display table-row which is inside another element with display table.

A working solution that doesn't require table-cell is this:

.outer {    width: 500px;    height: 500px;    line-height: 500px;    text-align: center;}.inner {    display: inline-block;    width: 200px;    height: 200px;    text-align: left;    vertical-align: middle;}
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the answer! Creative solution with the line height :-)

It worked for me to center the .inner div into the .outer div but inside my inner div, I had some text which I put in my inner block but it displayed outside(under) the block..
Here is my full code:
<!doctype html><html lang="en"><head><meta charset="UTF-8" /><title> Canvas project</title> <style>.outer {width: 500px;       height: 500px;   line-height: 500px;   text-align: center;   background-color:red;} .inner {   display: inline-block;   width: 200px;   height: 200px;   text-align: left;   vertical-align: middle;   background-color:green;}  </style></head><body><div class="outer">  <div class="inner">    <p> Some text </p>  </div> <!--inner--></div> <!--outer--></body></html>

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Tijs

Edited by tijs

I forgot to add line-height: normal to the .inner selector, which is meant to be part of this solution.

.inner {   line-height: normal;   display: inline-block;   width: 200px;   height: 200px;   text-align: left;   vertical-align: middle;   background-color:green;}

Can anyone explains me what is meant by this:

lamp.jpg

Note: Setting the display property of an element only changes how the element is displayed, NOT what kind of element it is. So, an inline element with display:block is not allowed to have other block elements inside of it.

src:http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_display_visibility.asp

Why can't I put a block element inside a inline element?

Edited by tijs

It is not strictly true with html5, but before you could not take a inline element such as anchor or span element which is inline, make it act like block element using display: block, and then insert div, p block elements inside this element which is STILL a inline element, as it would not validate to then defined rules. But with html5 you are now allowed to use an anchor this way, but as yet i personally have not done so.

I've another question, It is from an exercise from w3schools.com.

Creating a horizontal menu

If I leave the float:left; element in both the ul and a, then the boxes also become smaller and don't take the width that we had set up.

Also , If I leave the float, the text comes against the 'horizontal menu' and if I put float again, then It don't..

Edited by tijs

INLINE elements don't accept width or height, they stretch to content within them, with float the width/height can be applied. the UL height shrinks to anchor height before padding, because it is a block element by default it will stretch the width available to it, when float is removed, the anchor height appears the same because background-color stretches to include the padding

• Like 1