Photo Albums

ThinkStainless

Hi all!I have a bunch of photos on my site in different categories. I have a list of thumbnails of the photos on a page. I want the viewer to be able to click on the thumbnail and the photo comes up in a new window in larger size and they can navigate in that window to the next or previous photo. How can i do this using html or css? Does it require javascript? Thanks!

That can't be done by Html only, you'd have to use JavaScript to be able to figure out what picture is the curren, what the next and so on, like in an array. You also would need a tiny file of an image template page.I guess JavaScript would not be enough, while the best method is to post the picture ID or something into the new window by using the GET method, and a server-side language is best in retreiving it. I have managed to let JavaScript receive the GET variable, but it requires advanced scripting which is even not reliable :) I'd suggest just turn over to server-side, client-side would be too much of a hassle :)

Eh? There is no need for a server side language to do this, javascript is more than capable and faster.Here is the code for the slideshow.http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/dhtmlslide.htmAll you need to do is have a bunch of thumbnails then when the user click one open a new window opens with that specific slideshow.

But Dhtml isn't always cross browser, I am not sure this one isn't either..According to the tutorial, these page enter effects are IE only, so keep in mind the effect won't work in other browsers.Besides, ThinkStainless wants to open a window with the larger image, but still be able to click back and forward in that new window, which I think would be difficult with JavaScript. That's why I said :)This script can open a new window, but would only show the image in it and no html page.

But Dhtml isn't always cross browser, I am not sure this one isn't either..
It says it works in: FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+NS 3+That's good enough for me and should be for anyone else :)
Besides, ThinkStainless wants to open a window with the larger image, but still be able to click back and forward in that new window, which I think would be difficult with JavaScript. That's why I said :)
How is this difficult? All you do is open the page with the slideshow in a new window, not the image itself, just like i said. :)
This script can open a new window, but would only show the image in it and no html page.
The srcipt doesnt open any window, it's a slideshow :blink: you would have to manually add that in...

Scott, I really like you. I am not mad at you and not even cross.But still, the topic starter wants to open a new window when you click the image with the possibility to go back and forward in it :)That script cannot do that even you'd manually add the opening window function, or you should make a image template page, else you won't have to option to add links to the new window or edit it at all. But then you'd also need some sort of ID that the new window can know what image is the clicked one :) (Is that possible with javascript?)Else, I don't know if ThinkStainless is satisfied with your code, then I might shut up :)

Scott, I really like you. I am not mad at you and not even cross.
I don't know why you would be mad or cross with me, i am mearly stating that this can be done with javascript, which it can, i know for a 100% fact and don't know why your making such an issue of this.
But still, the topic starter wants to open a new window when you click the image with the possibility to go back and forward in it :)
1)Click the thumbnail you want to open.2)This open that slideshow in a new window.3)Forward and back buttons are used below the picture to scroll through the array of full size pictures.
Else, I don't know if ThinkStainless is satisfied with your code, then I might shut up :)
Well good because i'm getting tired of a post war.

Dan you need to stop arguing with other members. This task can be done in JavaScript with no problems. Infact doing htis server side would be much harder and less efficient.You keep arguing and then say you don't know for sure. If you don't know then stop arguing and posting information. By posting information you are unsure of you confuse the member asking for help and make other member s who are trying to help very frustrated and upset.Be sure before you post, if you are not do some more research.Post wars are unacceptable and get out of hand very quickly!