how to achieve placeholder in html4?

yaragallamurali

I have a text field. i need to display some text by default. when user tries to types some text in the text field the default text should disappear and should allow the user to type in the text. This is same as "placeholder" in html 5. How can i achieve this in html4?

<head>   <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.2/jquery.min.js"></script></head><body><form action="" method="post">       <input type="text" id="input" value="" /></form><script type="text/javascript">      $(document).ready(function(){          var Element = "#input";          var InputText = "Full Name...";                    $(Element).val(InputText);                $(Element).bind('focus',function(){              $(this).addClass('focus');              if($(this).val()==InputText){                  $(this).val('');              }          }).bind('blur',function(){              if($(this).val()==""){                  $(this).val(InputText);                  $(this).removeClass('focus');              }          });      });    </script></body>

Edited by Tezzo

<script>	window.onload = function () {    /* Grab all elements with a placeholder attribute */    var element = document.querySelectorAll('[placeholder]');    /* Loop through each found elements */    for (var i in element) {        /* If the element is a DOMElement and has the nodeName "INPUT" */        if (element[i].nodeType == 1 && element[i].nodeName == "INPUT") {            /* We change the value of the element to its placeholder attr value */            element[i].value = element[i].getAttribute('placeholder');            /* We change its color to a light gray */            element[i].style.color = "#777";            /* When the input is selected/clicked on */            element[i].onfocus = function (event) {                /* If the value within it is the placeholder, we clear it */                if (this.value == this.getAttribute('placeholder')) {                    this.value = "";                    /* Setting default text color */                    this.style.color = "#000";                };            };            /* We the input is left */            element[i].onblur = function (event) {                /* If the field is empty, we set its value to the placeholder */                if (this.value == "") {                    this.value = this.getAttribute('placeholder');                    this.style.color = "#777";                }            };        }    }}</script>

Try this