Navigation menu bar problem

s-play

Hello dear Htmlers. I hope everyone of you is doing just great. I have a question concerning my navigation menu bar, which doesn't seem to adopt with the size of the browser. When the latter is at its standard size, the menu bar sounds to fit exactly the navigator, but when the navigator/browser is made smaller, or resized, my navigation menu bar is rearranged, in that some buttons go under others.

PS: See pictures.

image.png

image.png

If you use fixed width or even margins/padding using px instead of percentage the navigation or menu links will not be responsive and just begin to stack above each over as the screen width becomes too small to accommodate them.

• Like 1

<!doctype html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>Untitled Document</title></head><body><div id="navigation"><a href="#">Home</a><a href="#">Button1</a><a href="#">Button2</a><a href="#">Button3</a><a href="#">Contact Us</a></div><style type="text/css">body {	margin-left: 0px;	margin-top: 0px;	height: auto;	top: auto;}#navigation li {	font: 15px Arial;	display: inline;	list-style-type: none;	top: auto;	height: auto;}#navigation a {	color: #fff;	background-color: #999;	text-decoration: none;	top: auto;	height: auto;	padding-bottom: 2%;	padding-left: 9%;	padding-right: 6%;	padding-top: 2%;}#navigation a:hover {	background-color: #36C;	color: #666;	top: 14%;	height: 12%;	}</style></body></html>

This is the code that I am using mates for this navigation bar; and it is the one that is giving the problem. Plz what's the solution?

<head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Untitled Document</title><style type="text/css">	* {		margin:0;		padding:0;	}		nav ul {		margin:0;		padding:0;		height:30px;		background-color:#333;	}		nav li {		list-style-type:none;		float:left;		color:#fff;		width:20%;		text-align:center;		line-height:30px;			}</style></head><body><nav><ul>    <li>Home</li>    <li>Button</li>    <li>Button</li>    <li>Button</li>    <li>Contact Us</li></ul></nav></body></html>

Try this out

• Like 1

Tezzo:

Your code seems to work after making some small alterations; adding hyperlinks, a hover code and text decoration. Have a look at the code now guys:

<!doctype html><html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Untitled Document</title><style type="text/css">	* {		margin:0;		padding:0;		text-decoration:none;	}		nav ul {		margin:0;		padding:0;		height:30px;		background-color:#FF9;		list-style-type:none;		text-indent:0;			}		nav li {		list-style-type:none;		float:left;		color:#fff;		width:20%;		text-align:center;		line-height:30px;					}	nav a:hover{				padding-left:20px;		padding-right:20px;		padding-bottom:7px;		padding-top:12px;		color:#fff;		background-color:#609;				}</style></head><body><nav><ul>    <li><a href="#">Home</a></li>    <li><a href="#">Button</a></li>    <li><a href="#">Button</a></li>    <li><a href="#">Button</a></li>    <li><a href="#">Contact Us</a></li></ul></nav></body></html>

Still the problem is that the hover shadow doesn't appear unless I hover over the text Button with the cursor. I want the button's hyperlink to be a bit larger, so when I hover over the area of a certain button, it makes effect and gives the ability to click, even if I am not exactly on the text. Thank you for your efforts guys in helping me out with this and for showing your interest. I appreciate it a lot.

Because the padding only appears on hover, what you should do is have default state for before hover

nav a {                padding-left:20px;                padding-right:20px;                padding-bottom:7px;                padding-top:12px;}

and only have the styling that changes within :hover state

nav a:hover{                color:#fff;                background-color:#609;            }

Because the padding only appears on hover, what you should do is have default state for before hover

nav a {                padding-left:20px;                padding-right:20px;                padding-bottom:7px;                padding-top:12px;}

and only have the styling that changes within :hover state

nav a:hover{                color:#fff;                background-color:#609;            }

After adding the nav a the problem of the arrangement came back! when I put the navigator at a smaller size the Us comes under home as shown in the picture :/

Dsonesuk,

You have saved my life dude! Thank you so much everyone for being helpful and giving a hand! I don't know how to thank you mates!

I am sure that I will still come across other sorts of problems, as I am a beginner. But thanks for this one! I hope you'll still be generous with me in providing me with the necessary help. Cheers!