music

ylee

Well I found a WebPage that shows lot of different ways to play a sound, but still, it doesn't work with FireFox. We miss a plugin (it says Apple Quicktime) but when the "auto download" start, it says no plugin found, and I already have quicktime 7 on my pc. So I don't understant, or FireFox don't support this for now.Here is the webpage showing lots of diferent ways to play a sound, from simple to more complex. WebSite Sound

Firefox should work, just set your QuickTime MIME types to read the format you want. Though it is sad that QuickTime is absolutely required. IE uses ActiveX to play music I think...Anyway, if you put music on your page, be sure it is by creating a small player menu where the user decides to play the music or not.

• 10 months later...
if cross-browser compatibility is an issue you really want to avoid - then put the sound in flash and simply use flash for it. There are a ton of dinky flash music/sound players all over the web:http://www.flashkit.com
Do you mean that a flash sound player will work on any browser and on PC and Mac?Because if it does then I guess I'll use that method. Does it have any disadvantages?ThanksMike

Do you mean that a flash sound player will work on any browser and on PC and Mac?Because if it does then I guess I'll use that method. Does it have any disadvantages?ThanksMike
Yes flash should work in all browsers that support flash...which is all modern browsers. The <object> code might be different for different browsers but once it is embedded it will work.

how many songs you want to play on your page??? if more than 1 you could use this...... :)

<script type = "text/javascript">var streams = new Array();streams[0] = new makeStream("#", "Please Select a Track...");streams[1] = new makeStream("link to track in  ere", "track 1");streams[2] = new makeStream("link to track in ere", "track 2");streams[3] = new makeStream("link to track in ere", "track 3");streams[4] = new makeStream("link to track in ere", "track 4");streams[5] = new makeStream("link to track in ere", "track 5");function makeStream(url, name) {this.url = url;this.name = name;}function change() {var list = document.playerCtrl.streams;var streamURL = list.options[list.selectedIndex].value;document.getElementById("mediaPlayer").fileName = streamURL;if(document.getElementById("mediaPlayerMozilla"))document.getElementById("mediaPlayerMozilla").innerHTML = '<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/" showControls="1" width="180" height="45" src="'+streamURL+'"></embed>';}</script><form name="playerCtrl"> <script type="text/javascript">with (document) {writeln('<select name="streams" size="1" onChange="change()">');for(var i = 0; i < streams.length; i++){writeln('<option value="', streams[i].url, '">', streams[i].name);}writeln('</select>');}</script></form><object id="mediaPlayer" classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701"standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."type="application/x-oleobject" width="180" height="45"><param name="fileName" value=""><param name="animationatStart" value="false"><param name="transparentatStart" value="true"><param name="autoStart" value="true"><param name="loop" value="false"><param name="showControls" value="true"><param name="showaudiocontrols" value="false"><param name="showpositioncontrols" value="false"><div id=mediaPlayerMozilla><embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/" showaudiocontrols="0" showpositioncontrols="0" showControls="1" width="180" height="45" src="'+streamURL+'"></embed><div></object>

Yes flash should work in all browsers that support flash...which is all modern browsers. The <object> code might be different for different browsers but once it is embedded it will work.
Thanks aspnetguy,I've embedded the "button player" from http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/ . Their page provides an html generator to customise the player's GUI enabling me to use my own .jpg's to blend in with my site.So far I've found it to work without modification on IE, Firefox and Opera.What I'd like is to find someone who could try it out on a Mac with Safari. I'm not sure if that kind of request is appropriate for the forum; perhaps someone could advise me about that.Thanks again for all the help!Mike

Thanks for that justsomeguy,It does seem to work very well.The only problem I'm having is playing lo-fi versions of my files. I've converted these to 20kbps for dial-up users (for some reason the coverter uses a sample rate of 11kHz) and these seem to stop at random whereas the 96kbps - 44kHz versions play fine.Wonder if anyone has any ideas.ThanksMike

We do a lot of audio in Flash at a place where I work, and it looks like most of the audio files are 22KHz, 24kbps, mono. If it's being spoken, there's no point to having it stereo. The 20kbps should work, but you might try changing it to 24 and see if it performs any better.

We do a lot of audio in Flash at a place where I work, and it looks like most of the audio files are 22KHz, 24kbps, mono. If it's being spoken, there's no point to having it stereo. The 20kbps should work, but you might try changing it to 24 and see if it performs any better.
I did and it does!!Thank you very muchMike