Error in Introduction to HTML

Guest rcanand

Guest rcanand

In the first page of the chapter Introduction to HTML, there is a statement (under Example explained) that is strictly incorrect:"Header information is not displayed in the browser window."This is not correct, because if I just put some text in the header tag, it shows in the body of both Mozilla Firefox and IE. For example: <html><head>xyz</head></html> shows xyz in the body. Of course, if I add a title tag the element text is then shown in the title bar.

Headers and the <head> are not the same thing. The tutorial refers I believe to the set of HTTP headers defined by the HTTP specification, such as content-type, content-disposition, content-length, etc. The browser does not display those.

Actually, I take that back, the tutorial does reference the <head> tag. Your browser may display it, but that doesn't mean it is correct. It is not correct to put plain text between the <head> tags, your page will not validate if you do. So what the tutorial says is correct for properly formed pages. If you purposely break your page, don't expect the information in the tutorial to apply to you.