Purchase-Able CD.

AaronB

Hello all W3 Staff-Members, I have a suggestion you might not be able to refuse to offer... You could have a W3 Schools CD, that has every little bit of Web Design and Web Creation available... It would also come with an Updater... Every now and then there will be more information that you can add through the updater streaming through millions of computers, that own your W3 Schools CD... It is a great suggestion, I hope you really take it seriously. :)

There are no W3 Staff-Members here, nor are there any W3Schools Staff-Members. It's just us Forum Moderators. You're probably not the first one to come up with that idea, and it's really not a good one. You say it'd come with an updater, but if this was the medium w3schools used, it would be a one-off cost, and they'd make no more money unless they went for demanding money on updates too. Either way, w3schools is the only really good free tutorial site out there, offering tutorials for (almost) every webtechnology you'll need, cost-free. Why would you want to change that?

Well I am just saying like, for people with crap internet and what not, like nothing personal, it would just be a cool thing... Heck, I would buy it, and it would be totally customized to fit the purchasers experiece... In your last post that you have just recently sent to me... It seems to me that you are "Dissing" me, in any possible. A question? Mind you? Why would you have a suggestions forum, if there are no W3 Schools Staff-Members on this forum.. It is completely useless then... Is what you are trying to tell me... I have been in 2 Web hosting companies, and I think the idea of what I speak of is very well processed and very interesting, should be to you and to others that read this forum, I do not understand your lack of interest...

Maybe not...

We are also often asked if it is possible to read our tutorials off-line by people who want to reduce their telephone bills.Some people even ask us if our tutorials are available in books, as a hardcopy, or on a CD.The answer to these questions is NO.

See, I think you guys should take my suggestion into considoration... Even if it isn't a big hit or anything, at least you are offering some users the ability to "Reduce Their Phone Bills", I think you guys should even expand, look at GOOGLE, I have Business 2.0 The magazine, and one of the magazines is just based on GOOGLE and all of the Goals it has achieved by marketing... and also how fast they have grown in the past year... You never know... You could just see W3 Schools in there sometime =\. Just a suggestion :)!

See, I think you guys should take my suggestion into considoration... Even if it isn't a big hit or anything,
Well reading the quote i posted from w3schools.com it is obviously something that the owners of the site have considered and made up their mind on.
at least you are offering some users the ability to "Reduce Their Phone Bills",
Is it not enough that a team of dedicated individuals have worked very hard over the years to bring you what i would consider to be the best free internet tutorials there are available and don't ask for anything in return. We should be appreciating the fact that the site is free and will remain so.

Even if it isn't a big hit or anything, at least you are offering some users the ability to "Reduce Their Phone Bills"
I don't think one of the goals of w3schools.com is to reduce internet user's phone bills. I dare say that anyone who wants to be a web developer should take it upon themselves to get a decent connection.
I think you guys should even expand, look at GOOGLE, I have Business 2.0 The magazine, and one of the magazines is just based on GOOGLE and all of the Goals it has achieved by marketing
Google is a massive web-services company which attracts some of the most intelligent people in the world to work for them. They offer a legion of free services and have one of the best server farms on the planet. w3schools.com is a free reference site operated by a family. Do you see a difference there?
...I have a suggestion you might not be able to refuse to offer ... every little bit of Web Design and Web Creation available ... It would also come with an Updater...millions of computers...
Are you aware of the development costs required to create a streaming content delivery system, that contains "every little bit of web design and web creation available"? Are you aware of the support costs that will be required by people who run every version of Windows and expect the software to work correctly? What about Linux and Mac versions? There are additional support costs there.Creating something like this would probably require a few million dollars to design, develop, market, and ultimately support. Substantial capital would be required, and I think they would have some difficulty finding investors. If you want content like that on a CD, go to a bookstore and buy a book about the subject that includes a CD. Or use the free website. But don't ask a private family to develop an application like that, it wouldn't make any money.

In your last post that you have just recently sent to me... It seems to me that you are "Dissing" me, in any possible. A question? Mind you? Why would you have a suggestions forum, if there are no W3 Schools Staff-Members on this forum.. It is completely useless then...

I'm sorry if you thought I was dissing you. When I wrote "why would you want to change that?" I didn't mean you, I meant "one". Why would anyone want to change that.And there is of course a W3Schools Staff-Member here (he set up the forum after all), but he's very rarely on. Usually, it's just us.
See, I think you guys should take my suggestion into considoration... Even if it isn't a big hit or anything, at least you are offering some users the ability to "Reduce Their Phone Bills"...

But isn't more and more people getting broadband? I think broadband is getting cheaper and cheaper and faster and faster (anyone know for sure? Statistics?).http://www.oecd.org/document/16/0,2340,en_...1_1_1_1,00.htmlhttp://www.itu.int/osg/spu/newslog/ITUs+Ne...nuary+2005.aspx Edited by Jonas

It really comes down cost and demand. There are sooo many published resources that have more involved explanations to coding. There is no question that the content on w3schools is very valuable, but its format and delivery is not condusive to print. Web content and print content are written in two totaly different ways - this is one reason why it is doubtful we'll see w3school tutorials in print. The other is the interactive nature of this site - you learn by doing, not seeing/reading. And, just for clarification, you will not be able to package the tutorials onto a CD because they require server side technologies like ASP and PHP to be running - at this current point in time, it is not feasible (I do think its possible) to put a portable web server with all this content on one CD.It is no doubt a good suggestion, just one we doubt the founders would be interesting in persuing. They do check in here from time to time so there is a chance we could be off the mark on this - you could always try to PM the admin.Hope this helps.

at this current point in time, it is not feasible (I do think its possible) to put a portable web server with all this content on one CD.
You can run PHP directly from a command line, it doesn't need to be run by a web server. You can even create desktop applications with something like PHP-GTK, but you still have to distribute the entire PHP package with them, sadly there's no such thing as compiled PHP desktop applications..yet..

• 1 month later...

How about you make zip files, each with a tutorial in. It costs say 10p per page on the tutorial. This would bring in alot of money, and i wouldn't mind paying!

Got another one
How about you give an option to view the whole tutorial in one page. You can have more ads, have slightly less bandwidth, and people with un-predictable connection can load it at good connection, and still view the rest at less connection.I know it's take longer to load, but it can be given as an option.

How about you make zip files, each with a tutorial in. It costs say 10p per page on the tutorial. This would bring in alot of money, and i wouldn't mind paying!How about you give an option to view the whole tutorial in one page. You can have more ads, have slightly less bandwidth, and people with un-predictable connection can load it at good connection, and still view the rest at less connection.I know it's take longer to load, but it can be given as an option.
The tutorials will never be availabel for purchase...they will remain free supported by ads.

The answer will almost always be no.. This is because w3schools would go down because when people already bought every tutorial on here they wouldnt go to w3schools anymore, and the ads wouldnt pay as much, therefore the refsnes wouldnt be able to pay for hosting, and you can say bye to any more tutorials that they produced.. so you uys might as well stop trying with this. It will just ruin the site.

actually the answer WILL ALWAYS be no.
This should actually be the end of this discussion.W3Schools pretty clearly explained that they rely on the page views of their visitors, and that making their data open source is not an option.